Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It took a decade to sort out #6 and people are suggesting Joyce should START elsewhere. It’s nutty. I disagree with you about Coleman and I think you’ll find Ryan does as well.
I'm a major fan of both. Joyce has been great for us and your right, Joyce has our best center back since Curran. Coleman is arguably our most skillfill player and I would rather him on the ball than most others, but not wing back.

If P Ryan wants Coleman at wing back, thats his call. I already outlined my reasons clearly why I dont like him wing back, poor in the air/ not enough hooking and blocking IMO and its only IMO. Respectfully you hav'nt outlined why you want Coleman wing back. Its midfield/center forward for me and he has competition in these areas.

Last edited:
It's a trade off. If you have a good, solid centre-back like Joyce then teams are going to avoid him as much as possible. If you have a less robust centre back like Coleman then teams will play down the throat. You choose your poison and at the moment I think losing Joyce's flair by having him cover the middle is the only option.
Very good balanced post

I'm a major fan of both. Joyce has been great for us and your right, Joyce has our best center back since Curran. Coleman is arguably our most skillfill player and I would rather him on the ball than most others, but not wing back.

If P Ryan wants Coleman at wing back, thats his call. I already outlined my reasons clearly why I dont like him wing back, poor in the air/ not enough hooking and blocking IMO and its only IMO. Respectfully you hav'nt outlined why you want Coleman wing back. Its midfield/center forward for me and he has competition in these areas.
I can see Coleman somewhere else but the idea of moving Joyce is crazy to me. I like Coleman at #7 for a number of reasons. One, he’s excelled there before. Two, his presence there makes the opponent react to us rather than the other way around. That is lost on a lot of people it seems. Folks focus on how we match up with other teams. Coleman’s skills at #7 put the opponents under duress. They have to worry about how they deal with him coming up the field. Three, I believe he’s better at hooking and blocking than you do. I believe he’s clearly put on muscle to improve defending the high ball which he impressed on against Kilkenny. I believe he’s able to improve which considering his age should go without saying.

I can see Coleman somewhere else but the idea of moving Joyce is crazy to me. I like Coleman at #7 for a number of reasons. One, he’s excelled there before. Two, his presence there makes the opponent react to us rather than the other way around. That is lost on a lot of people it seems. Folks focus on how we match up with other teams. Coleman’s skills at #7 put the opponents under duress. They have to worry about how they deal with him coming up the field. Three, I believe he’s better at hooking and blocking than you do. I believe he’s clearly put on muscle to improve defending the high ball which he impressed on against Kilkenny. I believe he’s able to improve which considering his age should go without saying.
That's a very good point. Before the tikki-taka era under Kingston he was the best head up hurler in the country able to score, run or pass from deep. If Coleman can be at his best at wing back he is a huge asset that offers something that no other Cork defender does.

That's a very good point. Before the tikki-taka era under Kingston he was the best head up hurler in the country able to score, run or pass from deep. If Coleman can be at his best at wing back he is a huge asset that offers something that no other Cork defender does.
I love your optimism lads. Hope I'm proved completely wrong and Coleman has an al star year at wing back if selected.

However, I cannot shake the thought of Hegarty/Fitsgerald/Mullen being completely dominate over him in the air and physical stakes.

I'll stop banging on about it now. It will be fascinating to watch.

And thank God for that.

Ok lads are entitled to give an opinion. But some on here are the self appointed owners of every thread they become involved with. If they don't agree with someone elses opinion they resort to sarcasm, snide remarks and name calling.

I'm all for a bit of banter but no need for that nosense.

I wonder who you are referring to :ROFLMAO: 🤣:ROFLMAO:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Days Of Trees (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼