Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I love your optimism lads. Hope I'm proved completely wrong and Coleman has an al star year at wing back if selected.

However, I cannot shake the thought of Hegarty/Fitsgerald/Mullen being completely dominate over him in the air and physical stakes.

I'll stop banging on about it now. It will be fascinating to watch.
Pair Mark with Rob Downey and he takes the big lads. Can't think of any team that has two giants on either wing and if they did they would lose mobility

Yes that’s correct and he was exposed on puckouts v Hegarty in 18 and brick Walsh in 17 . They pulled there centre forwards over and isolated him v bigger opponents on puckouts . Think Downey will be on Hegarty to try and break or spoil him but we will have to have physical midfielders to be able to sweep in on breaking ball
He’s not the same player 5 years later. He’s matured. He’s stronger. He’s bigger. I think that’s often discounted.

I never said I’d move Joyce. Coleman’s performances for club this year prove how much of a better player he is facing the ball. I was suggesting if a team is going to drop like Waterford then let Coleman play that role McCarthy played yesterday. Joyce has to stay at 6, prime example of this was when Waterford were pushing on he claimed 2 balls and drove out scoring once,
Exactly, he was practically playing midfield as we had Cathal McCarthy as sweepe, which is the role Joyce normally takes up when teams play with 5 fowards.

There’s a subtle but huge difference between having Ciaran sitting on the 45 in splendid isolation and having the freedom to push up to the 65 knowing the sweeper is covering behind him

Last edited:
I’m sorry I asked the question about whether Coleman should be in the team 😂my position is Joyce needs to stay at 6 and play Coleman in behind him in front of the fullback line.

I worry that we haven’t properly replaced Bill Cooper, a grafter and workhorse. Fitzgibbon is great bursting forward but he tends to fade out of games and defensively he’s not the strongest.

I’m sorry I asked the question about whether Coleman should be in the team 😂my position is Joyce needs to stay at 6 and play Coleman in behind him in front of the fullback line.

I worry that we haven’t properly replaced Bill Cooper, a grafter and workhorse. Fitzgibbon is great bursting forward but he tends to fade out of games and defensively he’s not the strongest.
We're hoping TOC has a good year midfield assuming he is played there. But your right, a bill copper workhorse is lacking. We dont have one currently, maybe young Mullins in a few years.

Hopefully B Roche finds form soon. In fairness, he worked his socks off last year.

Other posters have suggested TOM for midfield, would like to see him tried there for a league game to see how he goes.

I think a fit Fitz at center forward being fed by Dalton and S Twomey could pose serious problems for opposition defenses.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Houseplants

Cyprus Avenue, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼