Worst thing about Aging?

a few years ago my aunt who had dementia was put into a nursing home by her two sons, Some people were not happy
with the fact she was put into a home but the reality was both sons lived a fair distance from her, both have jobs which see them travel around the country,
Both felt for peace of mind and safety she would be better off in a place where she can be watched and looked after,
One size doesnt fit all, some families can keep a parent in the family home and work a rota to keep an eye on them, others have not got that
choice,

The generation before us were made of strong stuff, They reared large families in many cases, No car,
no phone, internet, Many just managed to get by week by week, in some cases it was It takes a village to rear a child,
Many communities back then helped each other out,

👍
a few years ago my aunt who had dementia was put into a nursing home by her two sons, Some people were not happy
with the fact she was put into a home but the reality was both sons lived a fair distance from her, both have jobs which see them travel around the country,
Both felt for peace of mind and safety she would be better off in a place where she can be watched and looked after,
One size doesnt fit all, some families can keep a parent in the family home and work a rota to keep an eye on them, others have not got that
choice,
👍
Fair comment Jim!

choice,
We had it with my grandmother JimmY - did absolutely everything possible to keep her at home, but at a certain point in time that no longer worked for anybody, most of all herself. She had her last 2 years in a nursing home where they took good care of her

I met a great friend of my father in laws this weekend who I would only meet once or twice a year but always got on very well as we work at the same thing. The poor fella wasn't sure who I was but was putting up that facade to screen it. So sad - a lovely, smart fella in his day

Not harsh at all Fedy m8. It's awful to watch a loved one suffer, and the helplessness that there is so little we can do to help.

100%.

The last few years of my mother's life were horrendous. Lost my father a couple of years ago, just as she was coming to terms with it COVID hit and the lockdowns destroyed her mentally. Just as the lockdowns were easing she got a terminal diagnosis. Myself and the Mrs moved in to help out and it was absolutely crushing watching the deterioration and not being able to do anything about it. The frustration for her was horrible as well as she felt guilty that we were putting our lives on hold to help. Easily the most traumatic period of my life by some distance, but wouldn't have done it any other way.

100%.

The last few years of my mother's life were horrendous. Lost my father a couple of years ago, just as she was coming to terms with it COVID hit and the lockdowns destroyed her mentally. Just as the lockdowns were easing she got a terminal diagnosis. Myself and the Mrs moved in to help out and it was absolutely crushing watching the deterioration and not being able to do anything about it. The frustration for her was horrible as well as she felt guilty that we were putting our lives on hold to help. Easily the most traumatic period of my life by some distance, but wouldn't have done it any other way.
That's awful. Am terrified of how it's going to go with my old pair. They're both in good nick, but both well in their 70s, so that won't last forever.

That's awful. Am terrified of how it's going to go with my old pair. They're both in good nick, but both well in their 70s, so that won't last forever.
Yep, am in roughly the same situation as you jeeps. Will move heaven and earth for them to remain at home, but you just don't know.

A stroke, a dementia diagnosis etc and you might not be able to give them that care.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Eoin Jordan & Stan Notte
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

11th May 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Please! Club Night

The Pavilion, Today @ 11pm

More events ▼