Junior A Football 2023

4G not the answer. These pitches will all be taken up in the next 10 years.

Possibly but in 10 year si a lot of time to allow clubs to redevelop their won pitches into full sand based pitches, sort out drainage etc

Some of the pitches even this summer were shocking

Possibly but in 10 year si a lot of time to allow clubs to redevelop their won pitches into full sand based pitches, sort out drainage etc

Some of the pitches even this summer were shocking
I don’t know but not much change out of -€1m to do a full sized astro I’d say, so it’s not a short term option.
The guy in our club who is in charge of our pitches says the problems are down to over use.. a pitch should be used for something like 10 hours a week only. Player numbers and pitch use has exploded in the last 10 years. In summer time pitches can be used for 30hrs plus.
With nursery, ladies football and camogie numbers way up more pitches are needed.
And definately improvements in drainage etc needed on many existing pitches

Sorry but how come?
The EU have banned micro plastics which is the infill (rubber crumb) for 3g pitches. 4g pitches don't use the infill. They have an 8 eight year grace period on the law I believe. There are companies out there at present supplying natural based infill so hopefully that will keep some of the pitches.

Last edited:
Well done to Canovee. Result was never in doubt. Looking back at the results no one laid a glove on them. Inniscarra were the closest in the Mid Cork final only losing by 6pts. The next was 9pts against Ballincollig, 10pts v Aghinagh, 12pts v Mayfield, 14pts v Castlemagner, 15 pts v Dripsey, 22pts against Lisgoold and 23pts against Kilmichael.

They were the closest team to Kilmurry last year and this year before St Finbarrs beat them. I know it's early but i think we'll be looking at a Kilmurry Canovee county final next year.

The battle of the parish 🤣 . I think you could be right but all depends on what players are still available as they are very young and I heard that a few could go travelling next year . Kilmurry lost 3 this year to travel and you could see it especially in squad they had . Most clubs have this problem but canovee have a very you squad of players.

Well done to Canovee. Result was never in doubt. Looking back at the results no one laid a glove on them. Inniscarra were the closest in the Mid Cork final only losing by 6pts. The next was 9pts against Ballincollig, 10pts v Aghinagh, 12pts v Mayfield, 14pts v Castlemagner, 15 pts v Dripsey, 22pts against Lisgoold and 23pts against Kilmichael.

They were the closest team to Kilmurry last year and this year before St Finbarrs beat them. I know it's early but i think we'll be looking at a Kilmurry Canovee county final next year.
It's unreal with the results laid out like that. It must be the most comprehensive set of wins ever from a team winning a county championship. The 3 closest results all within the division. Sometimes you see a weak divisional championship but usually results get tighter when meeting other divisions winners

It's unreal with the results laid out like that. It must be the most comprehensive set of wins ever from a team winning a county championship. The 3 closest results all within the division. Sometimes you see a weak divisional championship but usually results get tighter when meeting other divisions winners
When you have an exceptionally good side they can go through the junior handy enough. What I’m thinking of are the really good young sides who won their junior division and go through the county easily enough. Canovee are one of those teams. I was away for a few weeks with work so missed the later stages of this years championship. I was surprised that Killavullen and the west cork winners Barryroe limped out so poorly at the QF stage, but injuries played a part in that people are saying. Either of those may have put it up to Canovee a bit better, who weren’t tested.
In the past especially when there was just 3 grades, lots of the very good junior teams waltzed through the intermediate and many made the later stages of the senior county championship, all within a short period. I can think of a few that even made the senior final.

I think this was to be expected this year as the way the board went about creating the PJ grade meant Muskerry became almost like a county championship last year with Canovee and Kilmurry both strong favourites for the county itself. Kilmurry edged the battle but Canovee have caught up with them already and I’d see the two of them alongside Millstreet, Cobh and Buttevant as the top sides in PJ which will make for a very competitive grade next year. It will take a while but both JA and PJ championships will result in a lot fairer competitions overall.

I think this was to be expected this year as the way the board went about creating the PJ grade meant Muskerry became almost like a county championship last year with Canovee and Kilmurry both strong favourites for the county itself. Kilmurry edged the battle but Canovee have caught up with them already and I’d see the two of them alongside Millstreet, Cobh and Buttevant as the top sides in PJ which will make for a very competitive grade next year. It will take a while but both JA and PJ championships will result in a lot fairer competitions overall.
The premier junior is taking shape.
In the new competition structure that has developed over the last 5 years or so, there are about 15 + clubs playing premier junior or intermediate that would have been down playing junior division in the old system.
While the restructuring has been a resounding success, It has weakened the junior divisional championships a lot.
The next step is to look at some sort of regrading of junior at divisional level or maybe amalgamate some divisions to make more competitive Junior A & B competitions regionally.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

20th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Darren Nash

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼