Deirdre Morley v Alan Hawe..

Would you agree with her release in a few years so ?
If she is deemed sane, then yes. She isn't in the CMH as a punishment, she is there to get well.

Being declared legally insane in a criminal trial is a very specific thing. Most people with mental illness would be found legally competent to be convicted. It is only in circumstances where someone's mental illness means that they are incapable of understanding the nature of the act that they can be found not guilty by reason of insanity.

If she is deemed sane, then yes. She isn't in the CMH as a punishment, she is there to get well.

Being declared legally insane in a criminal trial is a very specific thing. Most people with mental illness would be found legally competent to be convicted. It is only in circumstances where someone's mental illness means that they are incapable of understanding the nature of the act that they can be found not guilty by reason of insanity.
That’s great for the victims isn’t it. No doubt the woman that stabbed the guy to death over a car parking in Dublin a few years ago got off on that ticket. It’s just grinds my gears so much attention on the killer but the victims families get to read a impact statement and that’s it

That’s great for the victims isn’t it. No doubt the woman that stabbed the guy to death over a car parking in Dublin a few years ago got off on that ticket. It’s just grinds my gears so much attention on the killer but the victims families get to read a impact statement and that’s it
Nothing makes it ok for the victims though.

I don't see the merit of punishing someone for something that they didn't have the capacity to choose to do though.

I'm not sure I'd agree, in all likelihood she was sane or able to control her emotional state 90% of the time before she committed the murders, so she was capable of understanding for a very long period of time until she wasn't, and we've seen what she is capable of when she flips should we take that chance with something as fragile as the human mind especially one that is obviously damaged.

Having said that are people who are found guilty of a crime through insanity ever released? I'd imagine it would be very rare.

I'm not sure I'd agree,
segundo-sol-novela.gif

:lol!:

I'm not sure I'd agree, in all likelihood she was sane or able to control her emotional state 90% of the time before she committed the murders, so she was capable of understanding for a very long period of time until she wasn't, and we've seen what she is capable of when she flips should we take that chance with something as fragile as the human mind especially one that is obviously damaged.

Having said that are people who are found guilty of a crime through insanity ever released? I'd imagine it would be very rare.
Historically, we almost never did, but that is slowly changing.

Most of the time the issue leading up to the killing (or whatever crime they committed) is that they are either undiagnosed or under medicated. Once of the purposes of detention in secure mental health facilities is to diagnose and appropriately medicate.

It is often a condition of release that they are closed monitored by a psychiatrist and submit to drug testing to ensure that they are taking their meds. I think that is reasonable and appropriate in order to protect the rest of society.

It really is rather disturbing and concerning in relation to increasing number of these child murders (and yep, I believe most are evil, premeditated murders) by their parents in Ireland in recent years.

We know that marriage/relationship breakdown is on the increase - but why take the children? :cry:

Historically, we almost never did, but that is slowly changing.

Most of the time the issue leading up to the killing (or whatever crime they committed) is that they are either undiagnosed or under medicated. Once of the purposes of detention in secure mental health facilities is to diagnose and appropriately medicate.

It is often a condition of release that they are closed monitored by a psychiatrist and submit to drug testing to ensure that they are taking their meds. I think that is reasonable and appropriate in order to protect the rest of society.
That makes a lot of sense but I guess a counter argument would be if they need medication then how can they be declared sane or cured?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Colin Geddis - Overkill
Cyprus Avenue, Caroline St.

15th Jun 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼