Cork u20 Football 2024

I’d point out to lads eulogising Kerry for all their dominance at schools level that they are lagging a fair bit behind Dublin whose schools rarely make any impact on the Leinster colleges championship and who emphasise development squads. So who’s right?

Another thing fellas cite as a solution to all Cork’s woes in football and hurling is an outside manager. This team has a Dubliner managing them.
Tony the GAA have given the Dubs €2m a year to fund their coaching. You have a GDA in every club in Dublin, 2 in some. Focused on football
In Cork we had 1 GDA per 45 clubs up to recently with 2/3 of those clubs playing hurling too. It makes no sense to compare Cork or any other county with the financially doped Dubs

Big problem is talented footballers picking hurling e.g brian hayes miles better footballer
Is this really the biggest thing affecting Cork football at the moment? Maybe we could use this as an excuse if we were a smaller county, or if we were getting the most out of our existing talent. Of it there was a David Clifford type talent playing hurling (there’s not).

The Clare U20s pushed Kerry closer last year than we did, and the Tipperary U20s did the same this year. We’ve lost to Louth, Cavan, Donegal and Kerry at senior level this year, despite having more GAA clubs and a roughly similar population to those four counties combined. Surely a lack of playing resources can’t be the main reason we are and have been so poor.

Disagree totally with this.
The priests and teachers are gone from lots of schools. Cork GAA should be sending the GDAs in or hiring top coaches. Plenty people & businesses would financially support the likes of that too.
Well feel free to go down to the Barrs, Bishopstown, Nemo and Douglas and tell the mams that little Jack or Odhran or Liam has to go to Chriost Ri because that’s what Cork football wants. And do you now have to decide which 12 year old is going to play football or hurling so they go to the right hothouse.

Exaggerating to make a point but you’ll never have nurseries like the sem, colaiste na sceilge, the green or dingle cbs in Cork. There’s too many people and too much choice. The schools as nurseries concept works brilliantly in counties like Kerry and Kilkenny where you have one overwhelmingly strong sport that everyone wants to play, few if any private schools and no dominant major urban population centre. I’d stress again that Dublin manage fine without all of this.

Ultimately you can focus your development on schools or development panels or whatever but whatever way you do it if you’re not ensuring bilateral co-ordination and basic skill sets they’ll struggle when they encounter people who do, regardless of whether they’re wearing green and gold or sky blue.

Tony the GAA have given the Dubs €2m a year to fund their coaching. You have a GDA in every club in Dublin, 2 in some. Focused on football
In Cork we had 1 GDA per 45 clubs up to recently with 2/3 of those clubs playing hurling too. It makes no sense to compare Cork or any other county with the financially doped Dubs
Why does Dublin get that amount of lolly when Cork don't? Our reps must be shite.

I w
Disagree totally with this.
The priests and teachers are gone from lots of schools. Cork GAA should be sending the GDAs in or hiring top coaches. Plenty people & businesses would financially support the likes of that too.
The Pres and Christian brothers put in some Herculean shifts for hurling and football in Cork up in the Mon and down in Chriost Ri. We are all the poorer for their departure from the game. Dont think their loss has been replaced in the county. God bless them all for their endeavours over the years.

Yes, this Cork team has a Dub as manager. I've asked this before here but what exactly has said Dub done to merit being appointed to that level of job? That's a valid point of debate anyway.

Most Cork players didn't perform tonight really, few of the subs who came in like Corkery and Kearney looked better than many who started. But without pointing fingers at young fellas, the setup and "tactics" made no sense to me.

Kerry best team on the night and forwards clicked well, but they weren't massively tested. Cork went man for man largely it appeared and left defence a bit exposed on fast attacks.
I thought we were doing fine in the first half into the wind, missed a few goal chances, had a few wides but were well in it going into the second half.

Kerry ran the ball in the second half and we just didn’t have the physical stature or power to stop them burrowing through us. The minors looked equally lacking in physical size last night against Kerry.

We caused them plenty of problems at the other end but didn’t take the chances that came our way. I actually didn’t think it was a big of a mismatch as the scoreline suggests. The 10 mins after half time were disastrous though. The defensive side of the game was really poor alright but lacking size was a big part of that issue.

Do the kids get a choice where they go to school? It can’t work in a county this size with this many schools, therefore you are absolutely dependent on your development squads and associated coaches ala Dublin for example.
Schools
Coaching is to expose as many players as possible to GAA and proper coaching, we don’t have the resources to ‘ hothouse’
We have discussed this many times before on another forum
Cork should have 8-10 development hubs in football and 8-10 in the hurling, all based around A schools in football and hurling.
There was a very surprising almost consensus on which schools they should be.
Each hub gets a GDA.
Also GDA into a selection of B schools.
Instead of rebel og, You go back to the old inter divisional championships at U14 & U16, which captures any other lads.
That’s the model that will drive success.
I’d stick my hand up to admit I’m prob the biggest critic of rebel Og on proc, I think it’s an abomination. As I posted here at the time I attended an internal trial game with a club mate about 6 months ago for this years minor team and I was a depressed man for a few days after what I saw being done by the coaches that day.

If you want to succeed in football you’ve no option but to compare yourself to Dublin. You’re absolutely right about the disparity in coaching funding but equally we should ask what did Cork choose to spend our money on?

I w

The Pres and Christian brothers put in some Herculean shifts for hurling and football in Cork up in the Mon and down in Chriost Ri. We are all the poorer for their departure from the game. Dont think their loss has been replaced in the county. God bless them all for their endeavours over the years.
Now now…. Easy… you’ll tip her over

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Cork's Primetime Comedy Show
The Roundy, Castle St.

27th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Roots Festival: Niall McCabe

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 7:30pm

More events ▼