Cork u20 Football 2024

Im not sure if the issue is at schools level. Its great for the young fellas involved to win a Hogan cup, but Im not sure if theres much of a correlation between this and success at underage. When was the last time a Dublin school wax even competitive in schools never mind winning it?

A numbet of posters have pointed out that we are overcoached to the point of robotic displays. IMHO, this is the issue. Lads are afraid of their lives to kick the ball or show any initiative when the 5 yard lateral pass is the default setting.

A shambolic display, which lies solely on the coaching ticket. Rebel Og needs a rebrand and a major kick up the arse.

We have a Football Director who is there 5 fucking years. Lads come on . 5 YEARS. This Coaching Pathway is churning our Duds who can set up a team properly. Young lads being let down. PATHETIC. But Listen Springsteen is doing 3 Gigs down the Pairc.
You need a professional in that role not an ex County manager...its all about putting in place professional standards..going nowhere until we establish a proper centre of excellence seperate to PUC and its environs..I'll always harp on about what is Kerry footballs greatest strength?? All their players are comfortable at kicking the ball off both feet; at fielding the ball; soloing at pace; kicking with the head up; forwards always moving a making runs...christ lads these are all the basics of the game and for some reason there are lads in this county getting onto county panels who can't do all those basics of the game. If you aren't proficient by the age of 13/14 then it's nearly too late by then.

If you have this key skills at that age then you can work on working the ball at pace, support play, tackling, S&C etc...thats the key difference between Cork and Kerry football at ALL age grades

U20 has a direct correlation with Senior. WAKEY WAKEY.
Why are fellas spouting this complete shite about competing with other Sports. You have 2 Rugby Schools in Cork City . Stop talking crap. The County Board could target 3 Schools in Cork city with 3 full times coaches tomorrow. The reality is they don' t care. This Rebel Og mickey mouse stuff will continue and looks good on reports and Social media. Oh look what we did this month.
What year did the Coombeses, Wycherleys, John Hodnett, Jack Crowley and Darren Sweetnam play for Pres and Christians?

Labouring the point, but Id remove this pretentious Rebel Og banner. Rebels is grand chanting at matches, but Cork is enough of a name, loud and proud, we are Cork.

I’d point out to lads eulogising Kerry for all their dominance at schools level that they are lagging a fair bit behind Dublin whose schools rarely make any impact on the Leinster colleges championship and who emphasise development squads. So who’s right?

Another thing fellas cite as a solution to all Cork’s woes in football and hurling is an outside manager. This team has a Dubliner managing them.
Yes, this Cork team has a Dub as manager. I've asked this before here but what exactly has said Dub done to merit being appointed to that level of job? That's a valid point of debate anyway.

Most Cork players didn't perform tonight really, few of the subs who came in like Corkery and Kearney looked better than many who started. But without pointing fingers at young fellas, the setup and "tactics" made no sense to me.

Kerry best team on the night and forwards clicked well, but they weren't massively tested. Cork went man for man largely it appeared and left defence a bit exposed on fast attacks.

You’re just never going to be able to hothouse talent in schools in Cork the way you do in Kerry. The place is too big, too populous and there are too many schools and competing sports.
Disagree totally with this.
The priests and teachers are gone from lots of schools. Cork GAA should be sending the GDAs in or hiring top coaches. Plenty people & businesses would financially support the likes of that too.

Have no idea what the identity of Cork football is anymore at any level. We were smaller, slower, less skillful and had less football IQ tonight. 6/7 years ago we were at least consistently beating Kerry at U20 level, even if we weren’t serious competitors for senior All Irelands. Kerry won their third U20 Munster Championships in a row tonight. That's the first time they’ve done that since the 90s.

I know there was a breeze in the first half but giving Kerry every kick out uncontested was very strange. You’d understand it a bit more if they were doing it to get numbers back in defence and build a solid defence, but the defending was really poor as well. Kerry looked like they could win a free or score every time they attacked.

I like the keeper and Sheedy but not sure if too many other players looked like future seniors intercounty players out there. Surprised Kearney hasn’t been starting as he has real speed and football IQ. Corkery was good off the bench as well.

Supported the appointment of O’Mahony but we looked really poorly coached tonight. They were behind Kerry in every department, and the uncontested Kerry kick outs meant that they were always going to be chasing them. We are the worst county in the country at kickouts across all levels, which is the main reason I thought O’Mahony was a good option. Unfortunately, we were as poor in that area tonight as any of the last few years.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Thursday Showcase
The Roundy, Castle St.

11th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Jordan Mackampa

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 8pm

More events ▼