Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I will be giving a rendition of "It's a long way from Clare to Here" Sunday outside the Venue Bar to lull our competitors into a false sense of Security.
Yes Brothers the Good Ship CORK HURLING FAMINE WARRIOR is taking water and on Sunday we could be Sunk
But, Hurleys will be broken and Shields will be splintered , a Glorious Day , with me now, now with me.

My nightly prayers are as follows : Dear JBM Please bless us with a fully fit Shane Kingston on Sunday, Grant him the strength to play the game of his life and to put the ball in the back of the banner net, So spectacularly, doubts about him will vanish like a fleeting strife and the nay sayers will be no more boy Amen.

The raging hot favorites Galway destroyed us in the first half but were winning by just 5 points at half time and that lead should have been 10+ at least. We were beaten all over the field. Only Galway’s awful shooting that day kept the scoreline down. Remember scorelines back then were lower than what they are now so 5 points was still a big lead.
Incredibly Cork scored 3 opportunist goals in the 2nd half at crucial times and some were against the run of play which were sucker blows that rocked Galway and were the deciding factor in the game.
Corks victory was a very unexpected win before the game and even more so at half time.
I think soundly you have a different view of what robbery in sport means. It’s not anything criminal, unfair or cheating. It happens all the time in sport. Cork astonishingly still in the game went out in the 2nd half and nailed Galway with a few killer blows to win the Liam McCarthy. That’s all.

"Slight favourites Galway" not "raging hot favourites" as you claim. And put in context of the Munster Final where at 4:1 we were allegedly only going up to see Tipp lift the cup it's a nonsense that Cork's victory against Galway (who'd never beaten us in a Final before) was "very unexpected"

It was a game of two halves. And I don't think anyone doubted Cork were the better team over the 70+ minutes - certainly never heard anyone (apart from you) claiming that Galway were robbed - even in a sporting sense. I work with a Galway hurling nut and while he loves rubbing our noses in Cork's current long famine and the fact that Galway won only a few years ago, even he never ever suggested Galway were robbed in 1990.

Interesting that you think scoreline back then were lower than what they are now relevant given that that one was a particularly high scoring All Ireland Final - with both teams over the 70 going for a shoot out rather than a cagey game. The scoreline was 5-15 to 2-21. That combined score equivalent of 57 points is more than the 2022, 2020, 2019, 2018, 2017, 2015 etc finals even though it was from a different era.

Don't bother reading someone's match report you can see it here again
and realise Galway weren't robbed at all, no matter how you try to dress it up. Watch the game. Try to enjoy it. And realise that Galway weren't robbed at all even in a sporting sense, they were beaten by a better team on the day. It happens.

I don’t see more than 2 personnel changes to the team named one back and one forward. With this format you’re not going to see wholesale changes. I’d say Eoin Downey might get in but in fairness he was caught out for a handy point last weekend too. They might move Cahalane out and either his brother or O’Connell might miss out with Coleman going to centre field.

Forwards wise depending on fitness Kingston or Dalton could come in for one of the older lads. If there’s a third change it could be Sean Twomey dropping out for whichever of the above doesn’t make it.

If lads are expecting 5 or 6 changes I’d say they’ll be disappointed. We did score 1-25.

I’m not getting involved in this interpretation of a phrase but I agree that Galway were hot favourites alright and should have won the match. What they missed was unbelievable, especially in the first half. Galway didn’t play badly in the 2nd half either but the 3 goals just bled their energy. Cork hurling had started the decline at that stage and we were considered a poorer Cork team. We went up to the final with hope rather than expectation but our great tradition and giving us some confidence that we could pull off an upset. I think it was our tradition and Galway’s fear of us that day which decided the game. Cork were never beaten. I’ve no idea what the Munster final and Babs Keating etc has to do with it but Mark Foleys one hit wonder show in that Munster Final still makes me laugh.

I don’t see more than 2 personnel changes to the team named one back and one forward. With this format you’re not going to see wholesale changes. I’d say Eoin Downey might get in but in fairness he was caught out for a handy point last weekend too. They might move Cahalane out and either his brother or O’Connell might miss out with Coleman going to centre field.

Forwards wise depending on fitness Kingston or Dalton could come in for one of the older lads. If there’s a third change it could be Sean Twomey dropping out for whichever of the above doesn’t make it.

If lads are expecting 5 or 6 changes I’d say they’ll be disappointed. We did score 1-25.
I agree that probably just CL will be cut, based on his performance. Hoggie played poorly too.
Harnedy played ok I thought and perhaps was a bit unlucky to be taken off just after he scored his 2nd point.

I will be giving a rendition of "It's a long way from Clare to Here" Sunday outside the Venue Bar to lull our competitors into a false sense of Security.
Yes Brothers the Good Ship CORK HURLING FAMINE WARRIOR is taking water and on Sunday we could be Sunk
But, Hurleys will be broken and Shields will be splintered , a Glorious Day , with me now, now with me.
Our friend, James Owens is officiating the Cork/Clare game. Prepare for lots of frees and yellow cards!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

14th Jun 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

The Biz

The Pav, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼