Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The game should have been well over at HT. Galway who were hot favorites going into the game led by 5/6 points at HT after missing 3 goal chances and hitting a rake of wides in the 1st half. Joe Cooney ran riot. But Galway left their good Hurleys at home.
Cork were infamously poor in the first half. According to the Canon only 2 Cork fellas had turned up and played well in the 1st half, with the wonderful dressing room story of Kevin Hennessy brilliantly claiming to be one of those. Cork made some tweeks at half time and came out in the 2nd half and hit a shell shocked Galway for 3 opportunist goals. The boy wonder sensation John Fitzgibbon got 2 of those.
The match report is probably available online if you’d like to read up on history and what really happened that day.
I’ve no idea why you’d go on with the emotive stuff about those fellas putting limbs on the line for Cork etc as that effort a given at that level,
I was at every championship game that season and a couple of away in the league so no real need to read the match report online.
We were 4 to 1 against going to play Tipp in their own back garden and “donkeys don’t win darbies”. Step up one Mark Foley to score a record 2-7 from play in a Munster Final.
The Cannon RIP was great for stories - much of them were humourous, some of them were even true.
Cork stuck at their task in the first half - and crucially changes were made in the second half none more so than Muller I think. But the thing that we had back then, something we’ve missed for many years, is cuteness to make the right switches on the park which raises both players games, rather than going straight for substitutions.
And the further cuteness to know that even if the likes of John Fitzgibbon didn’t get a puck for the first fifty minutes not to panic - he’d come good if and when it came to him - 2 goals in the last quarter clinched it.

I do find it ironic that you would chide me for “emotive stuff” when you started with your nonsensical guff about Cork winning it in 1990 being “robbery really” mind

Last edited:
Reckon Pat will bring in ROF, Hayes and Eoin Downey

I’d be worries about both Downeys for pace though - a weakness with both. Clare have forwards with blistering pace and movement in TK, Fitzgerald and SOD

No, TOM doesn't "have" to play. Not saying he shouldn't play, but it's certainly not a non negotiable that he does.

Why have you latched on to some gossip about TOM to pedal a story that it's some internal dispute that's keeping him on the bench?

Why is it remotely intersesting that the "call to drop" H,H&L is almost universal?
It's entirely predictable that there's a social media amplified negativity towards them, and that anyone who doesn't fall into line will probably get dogs abuse for deviating from the "almost universal" belief.
I wouldn't say there's amplified negativity towards them.
A lot of people have just omitted them from their team on their performance which is a fair call. Some people defending them and not seeing when explained should just be ignored rather than abused, however I have not seen much abuse.
"Most people" now being clear that "it's time" doesn't actually mean that it is time, or that it's the correct call.

For the record, I have no idea if v Clare is the right time to drop Hoggie from starting 15. It might be.
What do we need v Clare that Hoggie cannot deliver?
What positives aspects of what Hoggie brings can we do without v Clare?
Who do we have that will contribute more v Clare?
Would Hoggie be the kind of sub who would contribute to getting us over the line if it goes to the wire v Clare?
Hoggie when playing poor under Kingston was dropped, didn't matter what your name was or what you did before. Kingston got dogs abuse.
Hoggie came back and was superb, it motivated him to win his place back.
We have a great panel according to Pat Ryan but that doesn't matter if he's not picking fellas on merit, but picking as their name.
It's my belief you start Connolly or Hoggie going forward as of now. Connolly simply doing more and better. So hopefully that answers your questions.
As regards frees you will have Connolly 45 in and Dalton on the rest.
Hoggie would definitely contribute in my opinion against any team, bringing him on fresh against a back who at 40/50 mins is probably getting heavy legs and even the psychological aspect of a fresh Hoggie coming on against any team would be a a major factor.

I'd say Conor Cleary did a lot worse to Gillane on Sunday, yet Colm Lyons was fairly slow to dish out a yellow
Cleary should have been given a black card in first minute - Gillane caught it and turned him heading towards goal before being pulled back. It was a black or yellow and he got neither. It was more of a goal scoring chance than waterfords.

Cleary relies on refs letting him wrestle for the game to limit movement of forward. For the first Limerick goal Cleary, he was at the same wrestling as ball went in to net

Going down when not injured is the correct policy in these incidents on the forum here.
In fact the consensus would be that players who don't go down are naive fools.

I despise it myself, it's Fitzgerald should be getting the card there but I know posters here don't agree with me.
It was comical Cahalane getting sent off. His first yellow card was for a solid shoulder to shoulder tackle. For the last 10 years, all we’ve been hearing about is forwards waltzing through cork defenses , without a hand laid on them. His second yellow card was for a flick across the Waterford man, who went down like he was shot. It was a farce, and if I was Cahalane I would have laughed too! Yellow cards get handed out like Christmas cards nowadays, even Connolly got one….

"Most people" now being clear that "it's time" doesn't actually mean that it is time, or that it's the correct call.

For the record, I have no idea if v Clare is the right time to drop Hoggie from starting 15. It might be.
What do we need v Clare that Hoggie cannot deliver?
What positives aspects of what Hoggie brings can we do without v Clare?
Who do we have that will contribute more v Clare?
Would Hoggie be the kind of sub who would contribute to getting us over the line if it goes to the wire v Clare?
Just an opinion. It’s ok if you disagree.

If you think he should start against Clare and will bring something to the game do tell what that is. All I can judge it on is what I saw on Sunday. Taking potshots back over his own shoulder when the pass to a player in a better position was on. If he gets out in front of his man now he doesn’t have the legs to turn and beat him. If we want quick ball into the forwards then we need quick forwards inside.

Cleary should have been given a black card in first minute - Gillane caught it and turned him heading towards goal before being pulled back. It was a black or yellow and he got neither. It was more of a goal scoring chance than waterfords.

Cleary relies on refs letting him wrestle for the game to limit movement of forward. For the first Limerick goal Cleary, he was at the same wrestling as ball went in to net
Colm Lyons reffed that contest perfectly.
Gillane is incredibly aggressive and holds all the time.
Cleary does as well so rather than trying to figure out what was going on lyons simply policed it with a hands off approach.
I do recall a certain amount of angst about this place last year when gillane got a penalty while he was committing a foul.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

12th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

DJ Darren K

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼