Cork Hurlers - Part 2

It’s an excellent and insightful post. Give it the time to read.
It is an excellently written opinion piece on yesterday. Some of it I’d personally disagree with.
But it doesn’t provide any real solution other than cliches. Change personnel & close down space. I would expect solutions because they aren’t any when we aren’t good enough.
You can analyze games many ways and justify most interpretations but at the end of the day, Results don’t lie.
1 win from 6.
We are Cork!!

I saw he was interviewed on GAAGO before the game, do they usually do that?

The stop start in the first 15 minutes was so frustrating.
Watching in real time I genuinely don't know how refs can know who's being fouled most of the time given the swarming around and speed of it all.
Owens is one who decides to use the whistle a lot, but then he can't be particularly consistent with it or he'd literally be blowing every 20 seconds or so.

As someone who has to rely on GAAGO at the moment, yes. They did the same before the waterford game last week.

As a minimum Cork should be making more of this. PR should be highlighting this unexpected amount of cards for Cork, highlighting we aren't a dirty team and saying he looks forward to the rules being applied equally as vigorously against the other counties. We need to stop being a punch bag and show some teeth
I agree totally but I think It shouldnt be PR but other former players who have a great reputation with GAA eg the likes of a John Fenton or maybe even Muller

Derek McGrath Waterford speak.
The results over the last 2 years speak for themselves. At the end of the day, we can move around the deck chairs all day long but we just aren’t good enough. That’s a very average Clare team. Although mistakes are made don’t blame the players or indeed PR in my book. I am extremely proud today of that performance from the lads yesterday. Have to respect them all after they dying in their boots yesterday. Some warriors, Especially Harnedy & Hoggie (a man I’m critical of for years) who were immense. A credit to themselves, their families, clubs and the Cork Jersey.
Our problems in Cork hurling are more fundamental than the lads yesterday.
That is not a very average Clare team. Even the move for the red card was class. Its a potential AI winning team (but its getting on so its this year, next year or never for them).

On a small bright side, our equivalent great move yesterday saw Joyce run through tackle after tackle, Barrett take off through the middle and then a block when a pass to Connolly was a simple goal. But the three players in question are 21, 22 and 22. Eoin Downey, Hayes, Ben Cunningham et al are similar. Meanwhile Clare, Waterford and Limerick are largely growing old together. We will get there sooner or later......

Having seen it now in the cold light of day from that global angle it was indeed stupid and was a foul. Think a yellow card was a bit harsh though. Don't think the Clare player was getting anywhere near the ball but it was stupid given O'Donoghue was already on a yellow. The Clare player subsequently though milked it for all he was worth with the intention of trying to get the Cork player (already on a card) sent off.

As a matter of interest have you the clip of Connolly going through on goal in the first half when Hogan(?) pulled on Connolly's chest and Connolly stayed on his feet putting the ball over the bar.
Of course. Wouldn't have called it a pull, more a flick.

Some are saying on one hand O Donnell went down softly to make sure a card was flashed and then on the other hand criticise Cork for not been cute,

It is an excellently written opinion piece on yesterday. Some of it I’d personally disagree with.
But it doesn’t provide any real solution other than cliches. Change personnel & close down space. I would expect solutions because they aren’t any when we aren’t good enough.
You can analyze games many ways and justify most interpretations but at the end of the day, Results don’t lie.
1 win from 6.
We are Cork!!
If that’s your take then fine. I’ll leave the author to rebut your other points. If (s)he feels inclined to do so.

Where did I say he should have stayed on his feet? Obviously taking a hit like that you’ll end up on the floor. But my overall point which you have consistently avoided is the fact that O Donnell took advantage of O Donoghues rashness to draw the contact.
To draw the contact? Ah okay, try watching the video and stop making a tit of yourself.

Your first post did overlook it and another poster replied to you showing what Limerick had won underage.

I understand it perfectly and have given the reason which is the obsession Cork managements have with S&C whereby natural development from minor is ignored. There should be a case of allowing for the year difference from minor but after that it should be a case of if they're good enough they're old enough. I have often stated on here the transition is far too slow from a Cork point of view.

However success at senior level depends greatly on underage success and always did especially in Cork.
Last time I’ll try,
Underage success is not a reliable predictor of a young players ability at adult level. A sporting fact.
The 2 U21s won by Limerick in 15 and 17 were back boned by the guys who were already (yes already) playing senior hurling for Limerick. So, unless unless we are time traveling those U21s do not contradict sporting facts, as was suggested.

As for Cork. In my own time underage wins meant the conveyor was moving along nicely and the focus was always on improving a fella so he could play senior.
That conveyor from underage to adult simply doesn’t exist anymore. Three of our best U21s in recent years aren’t even on the Cork senior panel yesterday.
Cork underage teams are built by rebel og coaches with different parameters and agenda nowadays.
One young lad made the Cork minors from my own club a 5/6 years ago. I was stunned as I hadn’t heard much about him and he wouldn’t have been on my radar after going to lots of club matches. My own brother was his coach for 4 years and when I asked him his response was, I’m as surprised as you, he will never make the club senior team. 6 years later he still hasn’t made the club senior team but has had a successful rebel og career.
Something ain’t right there.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Pretty Woman The Musical
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

29th Jun 2024 @ 7:30 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼