Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Can anyone tell me what style of play Cork are trying to develop? I can't see any distinct style unlike other counties.

If I had to choose one I would say Cork should copy Clare. Both have a mix of big players and small, nippy players. You just push up on a manic high press with tons of energy and swarm the opposition. In that sense the basics are incredibly simple and then you can add a little complexity on top of that once you have the fundamentals.

Cork have the players to do it imo BUT Hoggy, Harnedy and Lehane obviously wouldn't work although maybe one could start and another off the bench.

It would require commitment from a mgmt team and unfortunately the ideal time to bed it in with new players was last year.

I think one of PRs problems is that he missed the window of opportunity in his first year to experiment and now when he needs results he has less margin for error.

This is how it works, Pat Ryan and his selectors pick their team based on challenge matches, AvB games and training. Baring injuries, the 15 today were the ones performing and nobody else were putting their hands up to take their jerseys off them. A sad indictment I know but we are were are.
Yes & likewise you had the team selection prediction almost 100%, but their is an element of the perfect players at every training who will look good in the league but don't have the intensity required when it steps way up in a championship game. I recall getting stick over mentioning this at the start of the season on inconsistent championship players or others suitability to fast ground. Again Injuries hurt Cork. Cork need about 5 changes the next day which we probably won't see as they kept trying the same old story and never blooded enough youths.

Pick the same defenders, get the same results, year after year. Half back line Blown out of it under the first dropping ball after 2 mins of munster championship. Goal. Cork conced the same type of goal every year.. A Broken runner from midfield/wing soloes through from 50/60 yards out and no cork defender gets across to cover.

Was at the game and others have captured the frustration and disappointment. After 25 mins or so Lehane was moved onto corner forward after three bad wides and other errors. In other counties that was the time for a sub.

Yes pr got the selection wrong
Yes pr got the switches/ subs wrong
yes the tactics and the inability to get the ball into the ff line was baffling.
That said Waterford are a very limited outfit and while getting any of the above wrong against any of the other teams would be fatal it should not have been against Waterford.
The big issue was the lack of fight and aggression. Essentially Waterford wanted this and we didn't as typified by the incident on the sideline where Darragh was pulled for over carrying.
He got a heavy hit in the head and went down, 3 Waterford players stood over him roaring at him, only harnady came to his aid. However it was half hearted and token, the Waterford number 9 continually pushed him away and in the end he meekly accepted it and walked away with Darragh still on the ground, it was at this moment I realised we were never going to win, the rest of the cork team just looking on.
Compare that with the reaction of the cork u20 team when the Clare sideline held on to the ball last week, every cork player went all in.
If we don't at the minimum have the same desire to win as the opposition, forget about it.

Can anyone tell me what style of play Cork are trying to develop? I can't see any distinct style unlike other counties.

If I had to choose one I would say Cork should copy Clare. Both have a mix of big players and small, nippy players. You just push up on a manic high press with tons of energy and swarm the opposition. In that sense the basics are incredibly simple and then you can add a little complexity on top of that once you have the fundamentals.

Cork have the players to do it imo BUT Hoggy, Harnedy and Lehane obviously wouldn't work although maybe one could start and another off the bench.

It would require commitment from a mgmt team and unfortunately the ideal time to bed it in with new players was last year.

I think one of PRs problems is that he missed the window of opportunity in his first year to experiment and now when he needs results he has less margin for error.
We don’t have a style of play except hoping that the ppposition don’t bring a manic attitude, an actual game plan and they allow us to hurl without fear of contact.

I agree on the style of play we should be playing, and picking our teams accordingly, but even if we didn’t develop that style we definitely should have played that way today. Giving Waterford an extra man to work their way up the pitch was just suicidal.

I also agree Pat missed the boat re introducing that sort of style of play. But I think it was this years league, with 12 months working on it behind us, and what seemed like a solid team developed by the limerick game, that it should of happened. Instead we got this “the league doesn’t matter” bullshit. That would be fine for the top counties like Limerick, Clare and Kilkenny but not for a county crying out for success

One other thing lads, we all (myself included) have been banging on about how strong our panel is this year. Well let’s see the changes needed made next Sunday . Otherwise it’s goodnight Irene

Havent watched the game back yet on TV but there was a key moment in first half - Horgan got a ball - pass to create goal chance was on. He took his own shot (wide)

One other thing lads, we all (myself included) have been banging on about how strong our panel is this year. Well let’s see the changes needed made next Sunday . Otherwise it’s goodnight Irene
Season is over April 21st. Thought we would be found out in other games not this one. Waterford won't win another game, all they did is make sure we are fucked for 2024. Everyone getting carried away with games against likes of Wexford. Serious clean out needed of those who have failed year after year and Ryan doesn't know what he is at

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Fiesta Latina with DJ Wilros

Crane Lane Theatre, Today @ 9pm

More events ▼