Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Not sure how anyone could have looked at the game yesterday and think we lacked fight or aggression.
If anything we were over the top aggressive and lacked discipline.
We won more turnovers and fatally conceded way more frees.

People made their mind up before the game that selecting HH&L to start was an error, so anything bar a win yesterday and they were nailed on to be blamed.

Not saying that poor shot selection and shooting accuracy didn't harm us, it did, especially in the first quarter as it allowed Waterford build momentum/ confidence and put some distance between us. Waterford were pretty much equally inaccurate so it balanced out over the course of the 70 plus minutes when their wides left us in the game.

On the lack of fight/aggression accusation again: when we were reduced to 13 I thought we'd take a right hammering, but we didn't. Players never gave up, and we stayed in the game, there were even moments towards the end where I thought we might equalise.
Looked to me like Connolly had goal in his mind when he hit his last free, went low but over rather than under.

I think our inability to deal with Waterford's powerful runs from deep was the primary reason we lost, for that there are big questions over our midfield and our half back line.
We had a settled look to our defence during the league, we were solid enough, changing it around to the degree that it was changed yesterday, particularly moving Millerick to corner back hurt us at key moments I think.
Also, our half backs had been licenced to go forward during the league, I didn't see any of that yesterday.
I wonder was that by design or because they were spooked by Waterford?

Lastly I heard Mullane during the week saying that Waterford would have full belief that they could beat this Cork team, as was pointed out it wasn't so long ago that we were going down there as underdogs scrapping for our lives.
They had complete confidence in themselves

We're going to have to find that kind of belief and confidence between now and next Sunday.
To do so we're going to have to start players who have that confidence or put players in positions in which they are confident. Can't have any rabbits in the headlights when Clare come to PuC.

Season is over April 21st. Thought we would be found out in other games not this one. Waterford won't win another game, all they did is make sure we are fucked for 2024. Everyone getting carried away with games against likes of Wexford. Serious clean out needed of those who have failed year after year and Ryan doesn't know what he is at
We were only beaten by a puck of the ball.
Think we will beat Clare and that Waterford will beat Tipp.

Yes pr got the selection wrong
Yes pr got the switches/ subs wrong
yes the tactics and the inability to get the ball into the ff line was baffling.
That said Waterford are a very limited outfit and while getting any of the above wrong against any of the other teams would be fatal it should not have been against Waterford.

We’re not good enough to get selection, subs, switches and tactics wrong and still expect to win.

That could be seen as typical cork arrogance and highly disrespectful to Waterford.

Not sure how anyone could have looked at the game yesterday and think we lacked fight or aggression.
If anything we were over the top aggressive and lacked discipline.
We won more turnovers and fatally conceded way more frees.

People made their mind up before the game that selecting HH&L to start was an error, so anything bar a win yesterday and they were nailed on to be blamed.

Not saying that poor shot selection and shooting accuracy didn't harm us, it did, especially in the first quarter as it allowed Waterford build momentum/ confidence and put some distance between us. Waterford were pretty much equally inaccurate so it balanced out over the course of the 70 plus minutes when their wides left us in the game.

On the lack of fight/aggression accusation again: when we were reduced to 13 I thought we'd take a right hammering, but we didn't. Players never gave up, and we stayed in the game, there were even moments towards the end where I thought we might equalise.
Looked to me like Connolly had goal in his mind when he hit his last free, went low but over rather than under.

I think our inability to deal with Waterford's powerful runs from deep was the primary reason we lost, for that there are big questions over our midfield and our half back line.
We had a settled look to our defence during the league, we were solid enough, changing it around to the degree that it was changed yesterday, particularly moving Millerick to corner back hurt us at key moments I think.
Also, our half backs had been licenced to go forward during the league, I didn't see any of that yesterday.
I wonder was that by design or because they were spooked by Waterford?

Lastly I heard Mullane during the week saying that Waterford would have full belief that they could beat this Cork team, as was pointed out it wasn't so long ago that we were going down there as underdogs scrapping for our lives.
They had complete confidence in themselves

We're going to have to find that kind of belief and confidence between now and next Sunday.
To do so we're going to have to start players who have that confidence or put players in positions in which they are confident. Can't have any rabbits in the headlights when Clare come to PuC.
If you think we didn't lack fight/aggression why didn't we win any rucks? Is it down to technique?
I honestly don't know but when you see a Waterford man coming out with the ball time after time it's hard not to think they want it more than us.

We’re not good enough to get selection, subs, switches and tactics wrong and still expect to win.

That could be seen as typical cork arrogance and highly disrespectful to Waterford.
That's not what I said,
The fact is this Waterford team is the poorest one they have had in the last 30 years even their own supporters are saying this, the bookies had them at 30/1 to win the all Ireland. To be fair they were operating at 100 % in all aspects they could control, especially the will to win.
Even at that they only put the game to bed when we went to 13 players.
The point I was making is that we might get away with preparing the way we did against weaker teams but we have absolutely no chance against anyone else, that's not arrogance,.
Arrogance is thinking we can beat the average to the top teams even when we have prepared diligently.

4 of the 6 starting defenders are not comfortable under a high ball and Bennett could have had a penalty in the second half when millerick totally lost the ball and hauled him down, that’s not easy fixed and certainly won’t be for next weekend against a team who will eat us under a high ball, I don’t see any serious changes tbh, based on previous from this management perhaps Kingston to start for lehane and dalton onto the bench with Carey moving off

That's not what I said,
The fact is this Waterford team is the poorest one they have had in the last 30 years even their own supporters are saying this, the bookies had them at 30/1 to win the all Ireland. To be fair they were operating at 100 % in all aspects they could control, especially the will to win.
Even at that they only put the game to bed when we went to 13 players.
The point I was making is that we might get away with preparing the way we did against weaker teams but we have absolutely no chance against anyone else, that's not arrogance,.
Arrogance is thinking we can beat the average to the top teams even when we have prepared diligently.
That’s horseshit re Waterford. The sides they were putting out in the league were nothing like yesterday’s. Yesterday’s side was the first time they all those lads fit and playing together in 2 years. I was worried on Thursday evening that they could do what they did yesterday.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
An Spailpín Fánach, 28 South Main St., Cork

27th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

Henry Glassie: Fieldwork (G) [Pat Collins Season]

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼