Cork Flood Defences

think around the time of the bad floods i heard that if the dam collapsed the wave that hits county hall would be 10m high.
long story short if the dams hitting its max capacity its probably better off to release some water.

There was a story a few years back that the esb workers up at the dam held back water for a few days as there was a search going on for a body in the river.
Bad rain and a high tide came and they had to release a large volume of water and contributing significantly to the flooding at that time.

There was a story a few years back that the esb workers up at the dam held back water for a few days as there was a search going on for a body in the river.
Bad rain and a high tide came and they had to release a large volume of water and contributing significantly to the flooding at that time.

That flood was the subject of a court case recently. The ESB were found to be 60% (or was it 70%?) responsible for that flood. The affected areas were the Western Road and Mardyke areas (the Mercy hospital and the new UCC IT building (on the old dog track) were among buildings badly affected.

That flood was the subject of a court case recently. The ESB were found to be 60% (or was it 70%?) responsible for that flood. The affected areas were the Western Road and Mardyke areas (the Mercy hospital and the new UCC IT building (on the old dog track) were among buildings badly affected.

I did not know that.

Did the esb explain why they restricted the flow from the dam for so long?

I work in the flood plain and had to go to work in wellies at the time of the flood. What I've against the guys at the dam is the fact their mismanagement of the water buildup behind the dam to the point where they had to have a huge release all at once caused the flooding problem to be as bad as it was.

Glass walls would be a great compromise in certain areas but I'd wonder about the durabilitiy of said walls

I used to work in the centre of town in the 70s and recall having to wade through the floods then. What improved matters dramatically at the time was the raising of the footpaths (by only a few inches) and the clearing of the drains - which were frequently blocked by debris.

With proper dam management, a suitable early warning system for residents and traders of the alignment of adverse conditions, the installation of flood barriers in appropriate areas, shores cleared and even the presence of pumping trucks in certain areas it would radically improve the situation and make us less prone to damaging flooding

:)

Bloody typos !

Jesus. Willy shoes are a thing

f21b1d2ac03f0f00ec7185ec1eef963f.jpg

Hi guys, I'm one of the people involved in the protest campaign against the proposed flood defences.

The reason we've started to protest is not that we think Cork doesn't require flood defences (it certainly does), it's that having looked at the scheme, we feel it's not the right solution for Cork.

We're organising an open information night tonight in UCC for anyone that's interested. We've asked a number of experts in various fields concerned with the scheme to speak. Come along if you want to get up to speed on the OPW scheme in a short space of time.

7pm Wednesday 8th Feb, Boole 3, UCC.

One of the reasons for the urgency of the campaign is that the scheme is going to radically change the appearance of the city all along the quays, and involve massively intrusive construction work over a ten year period in the city centre. OPW have kept this scheme relatively quiet over the last few years (many people have no idea it's about to happen), and the window for commenting on the scheme to the OPW is about to close (deadline is the 17th Feb).

I'm happy to answer any questions here about the OPW scheme or our campaign (to the best of my ability). As I said, this campaign is about getting the right solution for Cork - we deserve better than what they've proposed.

Hi guys, I'm one of the people involved in the protest campaign against the proposed flood defences.

The reason we've started to protest is not that we think Cork doesn't require flood defences (it certainly does), it's that having looked at the scheme, we feel it's not the right solution for Cork.

We're organising an open information night tonight in UCC for anyone that's interested. We've asked a number of experts in various fields concerned with the scheme to speak. Come along if you want to get up to speed on the OPW scheme in a short space of time.

One of the reasons for the urgency of the campaign is that the scheme is going to radically change the appearance of the city all along the quays, and involve massively intrusive construction work over a ten year period in the city centre. OPW have kept this scheme relatively quiet over the last few years (many people have no idea it's about to happen), and the window for commenting on the scheme to the OPW is about to close (deadline is the 17th Feb).

I'm happy to answer any questions here about the OPW scheme or our campaign (to the best of my ability). As I said, this campaign is about getting the right solution for Cork - we deserve better than what they've proposed.

Surely you will have time to make your formal submission / protest before 17 / 02 and then let the experts decide as to the validity of your submissions?

A long drawn out planning / appeals process will radically "change the appearance of the city" due to flooding and the city / traders etc need this scheme 5 years ago not to mention the cost of potential damage / insurance?

The OPW / local & national politicians have never stopped going on about this scheme since 2011

Do you agree that we need concrete and steel here as the solution rather than "wetlands" "forests" and predictive models?

Ps we were just joking with the willy shoe above. This is a serious thread.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼