The Official Munster Rugby Thread™

There were a series of stupid penalties by subs in the last 10 minutes which killed Munster- aherne, the sub back row and loughman……absolutely atrocious second half barely made it out of their own half. Agree with previous pat, can see de Allende move on from this unless a serious back room team brought in
I’d say DDA is gone anyway, he’ll get more money in Japan for a jovial, junior level rugby for a 3 month season. Leaves him free to pick up a short term contract back home then or in Europe again.

Which leaves center a massive worry, Goggin hasn’t pushed on at all in that role, they’ll need another big name there but could easily land another Saili or Tuotoupu (spelling?).

I am starting to give up on Munster at this stage, from the very top of the organisation right down, there is something wrong.

I hope that they find a bloody excellent coach because if they don't then they will replace Connaught as the cast aways resort.
I hadn’t realised things were that bad but after reading about Lenihan’s comments about Flanagan there’s something off alright.
ROG won’t be touching it with a barge pole right now.

Where is Jenkins...?? It's all gone to pot. De Allende should be given all the money he can fit in his suitcase to stay. He's a different level and the only world class player in the squad. I'm including Murray and Beirne as being below top level.. this season is finished. I was Van Granns biggest supporter but he needs to go and this war between the North and south In the Munster Branch is like the civil war in South Sudan. 2 bald men fighting over a comb.

Clueless and embarrassing with ball in hand. This has been going on for far too long now. Make no mistake - this is serious. Munster are quickly becoming a shadow of a once great team.
We could word excuses here for half the night but at this stage it is hopeless.

The last time they played Connaught in Limerick, a fluke at the end of that match and Munster won.

So it was very close that in the one season that the long established weakest province beat Munster.

Munster are history, I am even beginning to admire Leinster at this stage FFS.

We could word excuses here for half the night but at this stage it is hopeless.

The last time they played Connaught in Limerick, a fluke at the end of that match and Munster won.

So it was very close that in the one season that the long established weakest province beat Munster.

Munster are history, I am even beginning to admire Leinster at this stage FFS.
Was the game in Thomond Park the one where Paul Boyle got a rush of blood to the head and squandered a penalty at the death? If it isn’t then this is effectively Connacht’a first win out of 3 when they should really have won all 3 games.

Any new coach is going to have issues signing players too I think. Imagine looking at scrum half and thinking you need something additional there and Davey Nucifora tells you, you already have 5 players there make do. One is over the hill, one is on a sharp rise, 2 are arguably not at this level and 1 is TBD. That’s before you get into the centers. Goggin, McHenry and Scannell is some drop off from the current pairing.

Was the game in Thomond Park the one where Paul Boyle got a rush of blood to the head and squandered a penalty at the death? If it isn’t then this is effectively Connacht’a first win out of 3 when they should really have won all 3 games.

Any new coach is going to have issues signing players too I think. Imagine looking at scrum half and thinking you need something additional there and Davey Nucifora tells you, you already have 5 players there make do. One is over the hill, one is on a sharp rise, 2 are arguably not at this level and 1 is TBD. That’s before you get into the centers. Goggin, McHenry and Scannell is some drop off from the current pairing.
The only problem hiring is really down to the fact that the new boss won't be in place in the peak period for signings, i.e. now.

Munster is a great draw for international players, it's all the things described previously, strong history, amazing fanbase, challenging for titles. Add to that a player welfare approach that is recognised as adding years to player's careers, unlike the flogging you get in England and France.

Munster certainly can pay enough to draw Kiwis and Saffers for a big(ish) payday. Lifestyle wise, Munster struggles a bit, it's certainly not the same as southern France or a London or Paris based team. The weather is a bit of a challenge too.

But English Premiership teams are seriously struggling to retain players at the moment, they've just dropped the salary cap from £6.4M to £5M and dropping the number of marquee players (i.e. Excluded from the salary cap) from 2 to 1.

Think this round of Covid will hit French clubs hard, i don't see them splashing the cash this year

I wouldn’t put too much on the location (another reason to let players live in Cork though) especially if it’s only for 2 or 3 seasons but Trimble’ story about being asked to try and convince Victor Vito to join Ulster over La Rochelle is great. He dropped the topic dead when Vito said his wife was after the cuisine and seafood and all that and all Trimble could offer back was “we have a Thai restaurant called Thai Titanic”.

It will be very interesting to see what happens in England alright. French clubs have already come in for the likes of Zac Mercer and I’d say they could tempt a few more players that are on the fringes of England selection but never likely to get in for some increased wages.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Underground Ovation: Open Deck Night

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼