Stephen Kenny Reign

Work away, keep celebrating moral victories, there must be a trophy and open-top bus parade for that someplace, a-la 1990.

Something faintly comical about being called a langer by a moron.
Yes m8, we really should be beating or drawing with the giants of international football with a few lower EPL players, and a few fellas scrapped together from the championship.

There's something faintly comical about being called a moron by a fucking moron tbf.

Yes m8, we really should be beating or drawing with the giants of international football with a few lower EPL players, and a few fellas scrapped together from the championship.

There's something faintly comical about being called a moron by a fucking moron tbf.
I'm not sure what else were Ireland supposed to do last night....they played it perfectly and only got denied a point thanks to a top drawer save.

Had they tried to go blow for blow with France, they'd have shipped 5 or 6 and would have been mentally destroyed going into the next fixtures

Brian Kerr was fairly bitter again on VM's highlights show last night.

Sorry Brian, but didn't you lose at home to France when we had the likes of Duff & Robbie Keane along with other decent PL players in the team?

Edit: you sure did :lol!:

A host of very decent PL players. Roy 'nall. Some cheek.

Was at the match and agree with the comments about the crowd - there was fierce support for the team - a brilliant atmosphere. Some lad here earlier was complaining about cheering for turnovers and throw-ins and he has a point- but the whole aim was to drive the team on and to unsettle the oppo, which I think it did.

Everyone knows we are a team of lower league players so the crowd is always going to have to work extra-hard to help try and level things up. Apart from the infamous Iceland game all those decades ago, you can never fault the Lansdowne Road football crowd. The crowd support the team no matter what because they know whether the team are world-class or lower league the players will always give it everything when they pull on the green jersey.

Lower league or not there was decent ball getting played for good long stretches last night - I barely felt the first half going by. Watching Griezemann and the rest of the French midfield on and off the ball and going at the game was an absolute treat - they are true professionals. I used to worry that my sons would grow up never seeing glory on the field for an Irish soccer team but my youngest was absolutely buzzing last night - it’s the attitude that counts.

We were unlucky not to draw it but you couldn’t complain about a French win. We mangled every corner and free kick until six minutes from the end. That’s the only negative for me - if I had sent in corners like that back in my glory days at Garryduff I’d have been bollocked out of it. For a professional player to consistently fail to beat the first man with a dead ball is really poor.

We always play best against the very big guns. I see us only getting a max of two or maybe three points out of the Greeks.

I'm not sure what else were Ireland supposed to do last night....they played it perfectly and only got denied a point thanks to a top drawer save.

Had they tried to go blow for blow with France, they'd have shipped 5 or 6 and would have been mentally destroyed going into the next fixtures
Exactly. We did what we could.

Some of the criticisms of Kenny when we play teams we're supposedly much better than are very valid, but he did everything right last night.

The Dutch, another team with much better players than us gave Mbappe, Greizman and Kula Muani the freedom of the park and they ripped them a new one. They'd have done similar if we'd did the same.

That we kept those players to very limited opportunities was a good night's work and would have got us a point on another night.

You're right.. we should have played those galactico, world-cup final losing, garlic munchers off the pitch. It doesn't matter that they can field an entire team playing at the truly elite clubs in Europe, we would have beaten them by at least 3 if we had just taken the ball and tiki-taka'd it down the middle. Who had they got there anyway? Chimichanga and Chow Meiny.. two lads in the middle that sound like they should be on a menu, and Konate and KeepyUppy-mecano whoever they are

I'd write a strongly worded letter to the head of the FAI about this if I knew who the gender-number-balancing-wan was
I can't understand why Kenny hasn't bought new top class international players in the transfer window. What's he waiting for.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Insiders

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 9pm

More events ▼