Soccer - A joke of a game?

Just so we are clear I am a GAA man primarily so we don't need to keep referring to rugby. It seems ye are using rugby as some sort of scapegoat beacuse ye have a chip on your shoulder because it is seen as some sort of rich boy sport which just ain't true anymore! So again I am still waiting for someone to come up with relevant points and a decent argument on why I am wrong. One quick note as well about both sports when compared to soccer. At least with GAA and Rugby the physical side of things is kept between the players while the onlookers get to observe and enjoy the game. In soccer it seems the physicality sticks to the crowd who are intent on battering eack other and chanting offensive and racist songs and the "players" act like a pack of nancy boys falling over when a fella even steps on a shoe lace. Some sport to bring the kids to eh?:rolleyes:

I only used rugby because it was used already. I've no chip on my shoulder.

I've seen plenty of fights at the GAA in the crowd, usually in the terraces amongst their own people but I agree that the game of soccer has a problem that needs to be sorted. I'm not sure when that will happen.

HOWEVER, I think if refs were given the same power as rugby refs then it'd rub off outside the pitch. If a rugby ref was told to "eff off" the player wouldn't have the words out of his mouth before he'd find himself carded and walking off the pitch.

At least with GAA and Rugby the physical side of things is kept between the players while the onlookers get to observe and enjoy the game. In soccer it seems the physicality sticks to the crowd who are intent on battering eack other and chanting offensive and racist songs and the "players" act like a pack of nancy boys falling over when a fella even steps on a shoe lace. Some sport to bring the kids to eh?:rolleyes:

this is bollocks...
Any hurling game involving Waterford and their fans has all these traits !!!

And have a look at comments re the O Hailpins at An Fear Rua or even outsiders writing on our hurling thread to show the amount of GAA racists out there

I only used rugby because it was used already. I've no chip on my shoulder.

I've seen plenty of fights at the GAA in the crowd, usually in the terraces amongst their own people but I agree that the game of soccer has a problem that needs to be sorted. I'm not sure when that will happen.

HOWEVER, I think if refs were given the same power as rugby refs then it'd rub off outside the pitch. If a rugby ref was told to "eff off" the player wouldn't have the words out of his mouth before he'd find himself carded and walking off the pitch.

Thank you for finally admitting there is something wrong with the game. And you are spot on about the rugby refs. The players have to have absolute respect and not backanswer or they'll find themselves in the sin bin. This keeps the game in control. Imagine the Drogba/ Ballack incident v Barcelona after the match happening in rugby. And for Christ sake I am not saying GAA or Rugby are perfect but Soccer has so many issues it needs to resolve it's mindblowing! Anyone who doesn't think this is deluding themselves!

Thank you for finally admitting there is something wrong with the game. And you are spot on about the rugby refs. The players have to have absolute respect and not backanswer or they'll find themselves in the sin bin. This keeps the game in control. Imagine the Drogba/ Ballack incident v Barcelona after the match happening in rugby. And for Christ sake I am not saying GAA or Rugby are perfect but Soccer has so many issues it needs to resolve it's mindblowing! Anyone who doesn't think this is deluding themselves!

Of course they are. Christ there's a million things wrong with the game and deflecting the blame on other sports is exactly why it hasn't been remedied.

Hooliganism never went away, it just left the surrounds of the football stadium. It hits the media when it hits the stadium again.

Are you suggesting that the soccer administrators have to "bring their A game" to the table..

Maybe we all need to "buy in" to this concept :D

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

12th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Io Capitano (15A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 8:05pm

More events ▼