Soccer - A joke of a game?

ho chi feen;2860322[B said:
]Fair enough, but who would you rather the money go to? Chairmen? Agents? Directors?[/B] At the end of the day, the game generates the kind of money it does because of the players, so I'd sooner see them reap the rewards than anyone else.

I like GAA too, but soccer's my sport first and foremost. And I'm just as happy to head down to watch a game at the Farm ('cept when it's pissing rain!), O'Shea Park, or Turner's Cross as I would be at the Camp Nou. But the guys at the top are the best of the best, put in the work, made the sacrifices and got the breaks. You or I couldn't do what they do.

I am not saying they shouldn't be well paid but there's well paid and there's just plain ridiculous. The majority of clubs pay these wages by charging excessively for tickets and changing their jerseys every fecking second day. If the absorbent amounts of money wasn't needed to pay players I would not want it going to anyone, a much more sensible approach would be to make tickets cheaper, jerseys cheaper etc etc making supporting a club more accessible to even the less well off and parents might then not be under such pressure to have their child in all the up to date strips etc etc and wouldn't be under constant financial pressure. I know that's off the mark a bit but I just think it's logical!

the big difference between ruby and football, a rugby player cheats, gets a huge fine/ban for himself, his club and all those involved, and it gets publicised and people are rightly aghast.

soccer players cheat and dive in almost every match and no one bats an eyelid.

cheating gets heavily punished in rugby, but gets encouraged in football.

I am not saying they shouldn't be well paid but there's well paid and there's just plain ridiculous. The majority of clubs pay these wages by charging excessively for tickets and changing their jerseys every fecking second day. If the absorbent amounts of money wasn't needed to pay players I would not want it going to anyone, a much more sensible approach would be to make tickets cheaper, jerseys cheaper etc etc making supporting a club more accessible to even the less well off and parents might then not be under such pressure to have their child in all the up to date strips etc etc and wouldn't be under constant financial pressure. I know that's off the mark a bit but I just think it's logical!

I'm not disagreeing with most of the above, but it's market forces... as long as people are willing to pay that kind of cash, they can charge those kind of prices. Me, I can do without jerseys, club credit cards, etc... I find that kind of thing a bit sad really. And I don't pay for Sky. But many others are happy to do so. Welcome to capitalism, baby.

Of course they are. Christ there's a million things wrong with the game and deflecting the blame on other sports is exactly why it hasn't been remedied.

Hooliganism never went away, it just left the surrounds of the football stadium. It hits the media when it hits the stadium again.

top post

Fair enough, but who would you rather the money go to? Chairmen? Agents? Directors? At the end of the day, the game generates the kind of money it does because of the players, so I'd sooner see them reap the rewards than anyone else.

I like GAA too, but soccer's my sport first and foremost. And I'm just as happy to head down to watch a game at the Farm ('cept when it's pissing rain!), O'Shea Park, or Turner's Cross as I would be at the Camp Nou. But the guys at the top are the best of the best, put in the work, made the sacrifices and got the breaks. You or I couldn't do what they do.

grass roots, which doesn't happen.

eg. in england, for a uni football team to affiliate to the FA for a season they must pay ~£250. For a uni rugby team to affiliate to the RFU, the RFU pays the uni £300+, the RFU also pays for the uni to: get students to get level 1 coaching badges, referee's certs, insurance, run intramural leagues, run charity events, run community events, involve people from minority backgrounds, get women involved in all of the above. what does the FA do??? they leach that's what

the RFU have a huge HE development programme, which is now being mimicked by hockey, athletics, tennis, etc. but not a thing is being done by the FA.

top post

grass roots, which doesn't happen.

eg. in england, for a uni football team to affiliate to the FA for a season they must pay ~£250. For a uni rugby team to affiliate to the RFU, the RFU pays the uni £300+, the RFU also pays for the uni to: get students to get level 1 coaching badges, referee's certs, insurance, run intramural leagues, run charity events, run community events, involve people from minority backgrounds, get women involved in all of the above. what does the FA do??? they leach that's what

the RFU have a huge HE development programme, which is now being mimicked by hockey, athletics, tennis, etc. but not a thing is being done by the FA.

True, but for better or worse the PL is an independent entity from the FA. Therefore the FA doesn't get to lay a hand on the cash it generates.

I agree the FA should be doing a lot more, that's why pool of native talent is less deep than it once was.

True, but for better or worse the PL is an independent entity from the FA. Therefore the FA doesn't get to lay a hand on the cash it generates.

I agree the FA should be doing a lot more, that's why pool of native talent is less deep than it once was.
FA are still rich enough, and would do more if they weren't so scared shitless that the big clubs would break away like was suggested not so long ago

In relation to players pay I think anyone who doesn't think it's morally wrong for one individual to earn €100,000 + a fucking week for kicking a ball around while there are children and people starving in the world is mental.

Won't someone please think of the children?

Dragging out the old 'starving children' routine is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

1zec8sx.jpg

No problem, first of all I love GAA for a somewhat territorial reason. Both hurling are fast and physical games in which the players are from Cork, the fans are from Cork. It just brings an extra sense of pride into wearing the jersey and I think it makes the players really push to the limits of their ability for pride of their county. It just makes for a better contest. Creating great hurling and football teams doesn't boil down to how much money you have, rather the effort, time and skill of training put in by coachs all the way up from underage level.

In relation to players pay I think anyone who doesn't think it's morally wrong for one individual to earn €100,000 + a fucking week for kicking a ball around while there are children and people starving in the world is mental. Also players are supposed to play for the "love" of the game by a previous posters own admission, however, players in the "beautiful" game are more interested in their bank accounts than their supposed "love" of the game. Need I start naming names! Players have no loyalty to their fellow players/ managers/ clubs etc etc. Soccer is not a sport, it's a business! Look at Man City. A Billionaire is creating a "team" using money as leverage for these individuals. That is not a sport! It is a big business! Soccer has lost all of its sporting qualities!

and its only football players who earn these crazy sums is it? why is there never a thread on the fact that tiger wooods has made ten million playing at one golf course over the last 12 years or so? why isn't there a thread condeming bono for being a very wealthy man for belting out a few tunes.why isn't there a thread criticising brad pitt for making 10 million for a few weeks work on a film?

no, it seems that its only the footballers who earn obscene amounts for being entertainers. everyone else is immune..............

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

29th May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼