PROC Music Conference :: Sat. Nov 8th 2pm

Peoples Republic Of Cork1

Administrator
PROC
PROC Music Conference

The Pavilion, Careys Lane
Saturday November 8th, 2pm

Cork’s most popular website PeoplesRepublicOfCork.com will bring a host of experienced names from the music industry to Cork on Saturday November 8th to speak about their careers in the business and offer advice to up-and-coming local acts.

Jointly organised by PROC Music and First Music Contact (FMC) as part of their national information sessions, the conference aims to help local acts to fine tune their off-stage operations, wise-up to promoting themselves and to get the most from local and national media outlets.

Being up to date on the rapidly changing nature of how music is sold, marketed and distributed by successful acts is hugely important for Cork bands and producers.

For local up-and-coming music pioneers to make it to the top, it is also essential that the quality of information they receive is of the highest possible standard therefore the PROC Music Conference will only feature panellists who have walked-the-walk in a variety of roles in what is often a treacherous and unpredictable industry.

The conference will also offer an opportunity for bands to personally hand demos to the speakers. The conference will be free of charge and entry will be on a first come first serve basis but a place can be guaranteed by emailing music@peoplesrepublicofcork.com .

Panellists:
Alison Curtis, Today FM
Ashley Keating, Frank and Walters, FIFA Records, Red FM
Ben Leahy, Playright Publishing, The Ting Tings
Keith Johnson, Marketing Director IMRO
Paul Barton, A&R Warner Music (tbc)
Angela Dorgan (chair), Director FMC and Hard Working Class Heroes Festival

www.peoplesrepublicofcork.com/music
www.firstmusiccontact.com
www.prime-time.ie
www.imro.ie

About the organisers

PROC Music, loyally sponsored by Primetime, has been live since October 2000 and currently holds music and information on almost 300 local bands, singer-songwriters and electronic producers. The website’s music discussion forum has long been a hub for local musicians to network, collaborate and promote their events.

First Music Contact (FMC) is a national free information and advice resource for musicians at any career level and is funded by the Arts Council. FMC run the Hard Working Class Heroes festival, Music from Ireland (showcasing Irish bands at 8 international music festivals) and host Breaking Tunes.

PROC_Conference_Internet.gif

Last edited:
There was a good old crowd there alright, enough of a one to leave me standing at the bar for the whole thing. Which would have been fine if there was anyone serving...

I got in a half an hour late, but alot of what they covered was publishing, PR companies, the role of IMRO, what to do and not to do with demos and the sudden urge alot of bands seem to be having now to release singles long before they are at that stage, how people who write music but don't neccessarily perform it can get their music to performers, how to get music to certain people and so on. I only caught the Q&A part of it which went on for about 2 and a bit hours. There were alot of questions and they had alot of answers, twas good! There seemed to be a huge amount of desperation at the little meet and greet afterwards though!

There was a good old crowd there alright, enough of a one to leave me standing at the bar for the whole thing. Which would have been fine if there was anyone serving...

I got in a half an hour late, but alot of what they covered was publishing, PR companies, the role of IMRO, what to do and not to do with demos and the sudden urge alot of bands seem to be having now to release singles long before they are at that stage, how people who write music but don't neccessarily perform it can get their music to performers, how to get music to certain people and so on. I only caught the Q&A part of it which went on for about 2 and a bit hours. There were alot of questions and they had alot of answers, twas good! There seemed to be a huge amount of desperation at the little meet and greet afterwards though!
Spot on. Id say the bar was closed because it would have been a distraction and noisy. Really useful info. Thanks folks.

It was great that they were so frank about PR companies, sonicbids and Taxi. It struck me that the biggest problem Ireland has is that it's a country with the population of a large city, but we're spread out so it's difficult to network and create a decent structure. On the other hand, it's easy to connect with radio and TV folks, because they all know each other.

It was also good that the emphasised the most important thing- write good songs!

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼