Cyclists

Ah, now we are getting somewhere.

It is of course obvious to anyone that different road users carry different consequences for the laws they break.
Jaywalking shouldn't have the same penalty as someone who breaks a red light in a truck.
If you jaywalk, you won't kill someone else, although you may put yourself in danger.
If you break a red light in a car, you could easily kill someone else.
There is the difference.

However, some people think all road users are exactly the same, and should be punished exactly the same.
The guy on the bike breaking a red light should be punished and treated exactly the same as the truck breaking the red light.
The gravity of the consequences aside.

It is of course stupid and its not how the road works. But this mere fact rattles people.

OK let's agree to your weighted system on how much the fines should be, contingent on the damage a collision could cause. So perhaps something like 1:3:30 for pedestrian:cyclist:motorist.

Wouldn't mind paying 10 Euro fine for the experience of walking the main road between carrigaline and the city centre while all the traffic backed up behind me - that'd sort them - and woe betide any motorist or cyclist who close-passes me :ROFLMAO:

OK let's agree to your weighted system on how much the fines should be, contingent on the damage a collision could cause. So perhaps something like 1:3:30 for pedestrian:cyclist:motorist.

Wouldn't mind paying 10 Euro fine for the experience of walking the main road between carrigaline and the city centre while all the traffic backed up behind me - that'd sort them - and woe betide any motorist or cyclist who close-passes me :ROFLMAO:
Now that I think of it, how much space must one leave when passing a pedestrian on such a roadway, does anyone know ?

Not at all, I explained to you why, did you not understand? It was fairly straight forward. Constantly referring to people posting on this thread as "resident idiots" just shows up your own ignorance and idiocy.
I'm done replying to you now as you clearly have some deep rooted issues and it's pointless. Instead I shall watch from a distance as the "resident idiots" run rings around you. Have a nice evening.
^The resident idiot speaks.

There should be a resident idiots association on here so the idiots can offer each other mutual support as they spend their lives away worrying about cyclists and the threat they pose to public order.

There should be a resident idiots association on here so the idiots can offer each other mutual support as they spend their lives away worrying about cyclists and the threat they pose to public order.
Ah, still smarting from your shambolic performance yesterday I see, no worries I will let it slide as your butt hurt is enough for now.

Now I don't know what Earl said there, but Rox, his name is not on the IOTY list, yours is.

Now that I think of it, how much space must one leave when passing a pedestrian on such a roadway, does anyone know ?

Very good point - the lycra brigade on their bicycles insisted that there should be at least 1.5 meters distance for overtaking at speeds of 50kph or higher, how come pedestrians on country roads aren't afforded the same limits by law?

Very good point - the lycra brigade on their bicycles insisted that there should be at least 1.5 meters distance for overtaking at speeds of 50kph or higher, how come pedestrians on country roads aren't afforded the same limits by law?
Firstly the 1.5m distance for cyclists never made it to law, the Dail term finished before Ross's amendment got voted in. The law currently states

“(1) (a) A driver shall not overtake or attempt to overtake if to do so would endanger or cause inconvenience to a pedal cyclist.
(b) A driver shall not overtake or attempt to overtake if to do so would endanger or cause inconvenience to a person other than a pedal cyclist.”.

Secondly there is no exact distance guidance for passing pedestrians however the UK recently amended theirs to 2m.

Firstly the 1.5m distance for cyclists never made it to law, the Dail term finished before Ross's amendment got voted in. The law currently states

“(1) (a) A driver shall not overtake or attempt to overtake if to do so would endanger or cause inconvenience to a pedal cyclist.
(b) A driver shall not overtake or attempt to overtake if to do so would endanger or cause inconvenience to a person other than a pedal cyclist.”.

Secondly there is no exact distance guidance for passing pedestrians however the UK recently amended theirs to 2m.

2m :oops:

Oh I bet the brexiteers loved that :ROFLMAO:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼