Cork u20 Hurling 2024

I'm not even sure these aul fellas are even watching the game half the time.
The only reason I can think of is that the umpire closest to the ball had his view of the ball hitting the net blocked by the goal post stantion. Doesn't excuse the guy on the other side, he might have been fixing his pony tail. Otherwise the ref was inconsistent with his application of the rules, he seemed to be harsher on Cork, but I viewed the game with a bias.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy or anything like that. I just think there is a wild fluctuation in the quality of refs currently.

Most of the refs to be fair are fairly decent. James Owens is an exception in my opinion, just think he is dreadfully inconsistent. Malone last night was horrendous, as poor as I've seen in awhile,.

There was many reasons Cork lost last night, yes he was one of them but there is/was nothing team or management can do about it. The only thing I can think of really is that the county board convey their unhappiness with his performance back to the Munster Council and maybe that might sway a 50/50 decision our way in a game he refs in the future.

I'd much rather Cork former players and pundits played the same media game as their Kerry and Kilkenny peers ie let the game flow, Kerry pure footballers, not that sort of player etc all that narrative definitely affects refs unconscious bias and plays a role in some decisions but at the same time I'd hate to see a Cork manager be that Pat Ryan or Ben O Connor last night (he was very reserved given the circumstances I felt) behave the way Davy Fitz did last week or the way Brian Cody did after the 2014 All Ireland final.

Couldn't get over Davy Fitz last weekend. Behaving like that after a correct decision had been made. It was nonsensical.
Irrespective of the fact that the standard of reffing is downright poor the smell of conspiracy has stood out for a long time in the GAA. When a ref such as Colm Lyons lets almost everything go in the 2022 AI final and then when reffing a county semi-final in Cork a week or two later the same referee is whistle happy and sends 2 Newtown players off for innocuous challenges thereby ruining the contest with the first sending off, is that not conspiracy? I've spoken with up to 4 inter-county referees on this issue, 2 of whom are retired and they all say Croke Park determines the way referees ref inter-county games v club games. Surely this is conspiracy when afterall it is the same sport and the main obligation of a ref and the organisation should be that fair play is carried out. Some of them also expressed disappointment on the rules regarding respective fitness levels of some referees compared to others and having to retire at 50.

The Davy Fitz situation was discussed on the Sunday game and Donal Og complimented the umpire on the right decision but made no reference to the umpires earlier gesticulation and the fact the umpire was guessing. The rule on placing the sliotar for the 65 was broken and highlighted by Neil McManus but he gave the impression it was like clutching at straws. I think Davy has a point and has a right to address the referee and the Clare mentor has no right to push him away. Apparently Davy didn't abuse the referee because he was exonerated from any wrong doing during the week which appears nothing offensive was reported by Liam Gordon.

Last edited:
Awful decision for the goal that never was it. Cork have only themselves to blame for losing that game though.
Leahy and that free, honestly like, some poor shooting decisions... its an extremely high level if you don't punish teams when you can you generally end up getting caught.

Long time reader, but first time poster.

I couldn't read this any longer without entering the discussion.

I am actually astounded by how the majority are OK with us getting shafted here.

The Goal that wasn't given, the absolute cynical nature in the Tipperary play in the 2nd half. Our lads being fouled every time they got the ball, and often without it.
Clean threw on goal and cynically dragged down......The likes I've never seen at underage hurling. No interest in hurling, just play the man at all costs!!!!!

I've been watching Cork hurling teams for a long time and I've can't recall us ever getting the benefit of the doubt or rub of the green. Any decisions we ever seem to get are hard earned.

We really need to get the powers that be on to Croke Park to put a stop to this anti-cork agenda, where we get little or nothing from officials in terms of fair play.

Absolutely outraged.

Long time reader, but first time poster.

I couldn't read this any longer without entering the discussion.

I am actually astounded by how the majority are OK with us getting shafted here.

The Goal that wasn't given, the absolute cynical nature in the Tipperary play in the 2nd half. Our lads being fouled every time they got the ball, and often without it.
Clean threw on goal and cynically dragged down......The likes I've never seen at underage hurling. No interest in hurling, just play the man at all costs!!!!!

I've been watching Cork hurling teams for a long time and I've can't recall us ever getting the benefit of the doubt or rub of the green. Any decisions we ever seem to get are hard earned.

We really need to get the powers that be on to Croke Park to put a stop to this anti-cork agenda, where we get little or nothing from officials in terms of fair play.

Absolutely outraged.
Welcome Glehurler. Great first post. Agree with all.
I also find it unbelievable the amount of our so called 'supporters' are so agnostic to the bias shown against our teams so often, be referees.

Last edited:
Welcome Glenreader. Great first post. Agree with all.
I also find it unbelievable the amount of our so called 'supporters' are so agnostic to the bias shown against our teams so often, be referees.
All we ask .... is for fair play. I simply can't have what happened to our u20s.

They were a super team. Very honest, hard working, skillful hurlers, who only go out to play the game fairly and give it their best for Cork.

I feel so sorry for them as they should be Munster Champions and should be looking forward to another All Ireland Final against Offaly.

But our own supporters are blinded to the bias we have against us, where we get no decisions and are blaggarded by poor officiating. This is going on for years. I can't think of one instance where we got some luck from the referee that we didn't deserve. Maybe 2013 senior against Dublin. But that's it.

But our own supporters are blinded to the bias we have against us, where we get no decisions and are blaggarded by poor officiating. This is going on for years. I can't think of one instance where we got some luck from the referee that we didn't deserve.
You're talking out your hole, SOD should have been black carded against Tipp this year and Shane Kingston should have got a straight red in the U20 final last year, two off the top of my head and most recent.

Last edited:
Was at the game had a relation playing while the goal should have been given it was the wides that killed us .Also W Buckley should have done what the tipp free taker was doing all day and waste time taking the free. The referee would have blown up afterwards.
Ah but the Ref gave them everything and gave us nothing. Its happening day in, day out.

We go out to play honest hurling and all it does is hurt us. Cynical play, not interested in hurling is all I saw....and the ref let it go.

When will we introduce some of the cynical play and dark arts into our game? We are to nice as supporters

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Gilbert O'Sullivan
Cork Opera House, Emmet Place, Cork

11th Sep 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Skazz

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼