Cork u20 Hurling 2024

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

are you nuts?

I am reading through the topic and while the rage is understandable its a bit rich.
Even with this under 20 group

wrong red card for Keane
Clear foul on gunning before the decisive goal in the semi final
2nd yellow not given to Ben O connor v Clare munster final
Clear red card not given to Kingston V Offaly

the decision on the goal was ludicrous last night but other than that the refereeing was completely even.

Cork are not being blagarded
‘completely even’ :ROFLMAO:

You’re comparing one or two incidents in games where Cork were clearly the better team and both teams got plenty of decisions, to last night where there were about ten marginal decisions that went Tipp’s way in a one point win, between two evenly matched teams. If you honestly believe the refereeing was completely even, show me 8/9 marginal/poor decisions that led to Cork points last night, like the ones posted above. I can think of maybe one.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy or anything like that. I just think there is a wild fluctuation in the quality of refs currently.

Most of the refs to be fair are fairly decent. James Owens is an exception in my opinion, just think he is dreadfully inconsistent. Malone last night was horrendous, as poor as I've seen in awhile,.

There was many reasons Cork lost last night, yes he was one of them but there is/was nothing team or management can do about it. The only thing I can think of really is that the county board convey their unhappiness with his performance back to the Munster Council and maybe that might sway a 50/50 decision our way in a game he refs in the future.

I'd much rather Cork former players and pundits played the same media game as their Kerry and Kilkenny peers ie let the game flow, Kerry pure footballers, not that sort of player etc all that narrative definitely affects refs unconscious bias and plays a role in some decisions but at the same time I'd hate to see a Cork manager be that Pat Ryan or Ben O Connor last night (he was very reserved given the circumstances I felt) behave the way Davy Fitz did last week or the way Brian Cody did after the 2014 All Ireland final.

Couldn't get over Davy Fitz last weekend. Behaving like that after a correct decision had been made. It was nonsensical.

I don't believe there is a conspiracy or anything like that. I just think there is a wild fluctuation in the quality of refs currently.

Most of the refs to be fair are fairly decent. James Owens is an exception in my opinion, just think he is dreadfully inconsistent. Malone last night was horrendous, as poor as I've seen in awhile,.

There was many reasons Cork lost last night, yes he was one of them but there is/was nothing team or management can do about it. The only thing I can think of really is that the county board convey their unhappiness with his performance back to the Munster Council and maybe that might sway a 50/50 decision our way in a game he refs in the future.

I'd much rather Cork former players and pundits played the same media game as their Kerry and Kilkenny peers ie let the game flow, Kerry pure footballers, not that sort of player etc all that narrative definitely affects refs unconscious bias and plays a role in some decisions but at the same time I'd hate to see a Cork manager be that Pat Ryan or Ben O Connor last night (he was very reserved given the circumstances I felt) behave the way Davy Fitz did last week or the way Brian Cody did after the 2014 All Ireland final.

Couldn't get over Davy Fitz last weekend. Behaving like that after a correct decision had been made. It was nonsensical.
Nobody wants PR to go down the psycho Davy Fitz route but I definitely want him to be similar to Kiely & Cody where their annoyance with the ref is less vitriolic but very obvious. Imo it definitely has an influence on future games and how they are reffed.

Great post. Yeah 100% on the intent thing. I don’t think he went out there to intentionally screw Cork over but for whatever reason there was a big disparity on how certain rules were applied.

Maybe you’re right and there was an element of unconscious bias. There was a huge media furore about how physical that Cork team were in the AI U20 final last year and then you had the Buckley incident in the Clare game which wouldn’t have helped our cause. Referees are human too, so there's a good chance he was hearing this stuff about how undisciplined Cork are.

To be fair to Malone, he was a lot better in the minor match between Cork and Wexford today. There was a lot more consistency in how he was applying certain rules.

Nobody wants PR to go down the psycho Davy Fitz route but I definitely want him to be similar to Kiely & Cody where their annoyance with the ref is less vitriolic but very obvious. Imo it definitely has an influence on future games and how they are reffed.
Cork lost the game by gifting Tipperary a goal, from a short puck out error, very similar to the goal given to Limerick in senior hurling. When will we learn? Full forward Walsh from Killeagh looks a good prospect for senior!

For me there is only one game that stands out for me where I thought then and still think now the referee decided to influence the result of the game and that was the 2017 Munster under 21 hurling final. The referee was very poor last night but no more than that. I don't think there was any intent to cheat Cork but maybe a referee who was given a game that was above his ability. The goal that wasn't was more the umpires fault than the referees and certainly he failed to punish the player lying on the ball as well. There certainly were another few decisions which could have gone our way but we did get the opportunities to make sure none of those things mattered and we messed up. I don’t think this will hurt the players development at all and although Tipperary are a good team I think there was little doubt we had overall better individual players. I think a player we will all now be watching is Hugh O Connor to see which sport he chooses. His performance last night was outstanding by any standard but exceptional when you consider he only had a couple of weeks hurling behind him.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Cormac Ó Caoimh
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

26th Oct 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Joe Mac

Cantys, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼