Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Lot of pre game sympathy for Ben o connor. He earned his red v limerick and was involved in an incident v us that would have given the ref a decision to make.

If he got a red that night it would almost certainly have cost cork.

I don't think offaly will have enough to win this but they have enough to take advantage of a slip up.
They are also the only team used to playing in front of this size of crowd

Still, cork to win

Madness anyone thinking this is a walk in the park. Galway minor all Ireland champions in 2020 knocked out this year at u20 by Offaly. The comment knocking the standard of Leinster u20 is disgraceful and lazy keyboard writing. just some fellas thinking his own notions and we are cork will win us this game easy. We could win easy tomorrow we could be beating we could draw. This cork team at minor 3 years ago lost to Limerick. Offaly have come through from the qualifier system in Leinster to knock out Galway Dublin and Wexford. Expect war and to be at 100% as a cork player or we will be in trouble
Galway were short of a couple of lads henry shefflin had bench warming that night

I think Ben hasn't always got his timing in tackles correct at this level from a lack of hurling match practice, he was the total opposite last year in the County Senior Championship games and the Munster Club semi v Ballyea. He looked rusty v Charleville but much sharper afterwards. However he paid the penalty for a couple of late body hits and got sent off v Limerick while in the same game Adam English jabbed a player with his stick in the lower stomach/privates area and the ref and linesman didn't want to know.
I think you're being more than fair Corkonian. Another take on this is that Ben O'Connor while playing fine, and a physical beast is a red card waiting to happen, he tries to hit everything that moves and needs to be alot cuter in tomorrows final IMO.

I think you're being more than fair Corkonian. Another take on this is that Ben O'Connor while playing fine, and a physical beast is a red card waiting to happen, he tries to hit everything that moves and needs to be alot cuter in tomorrows final IMO.
I thought he was poor v Limerick and Clare. Lucky to be starting. In those 2 matches looked like a shadow of the senior player he was last year for the Barrs. You're dead right he was kind of bringing the rugby stuff and was overly aggressive. Also he's gone to rugby so as regards to player development his performance tomorrow means zilch. I mean he has chosen rugby and fair play to him for being good at that but after tomorrow who really cares? There are plenty other lads there willing to bust a gut for Cork.

Lot of pre game sympathy for Ben o connor. He earned his red v limerick and was involved in an incident v us that would have given the ref a decision to make.

If he got a red that night it would almost certainly have cost cork.

I don't think offaly will have enough to win this but they have enough to take advantage of a slip up.
They are also the only team used to playing in front of this size of crowd

Still, cork to win

Acknowledging that Ben needs to be careful regarding mis-timed tackles is hardly pre-game sympathy.

You don't seem to have heard or believe Ben (the Manager) when he said Ben (the hurler) was 'flaayed out' v Limerick after 30 minutes. Did you see Ben playing for the 'Barrs v Ballyea in last years Munster Club semi-final? The comparison could also be seen when Ben got up to speed in the County championship. One must realise the difference in Rugby fitness to Hurling fitness.

How does a mis-timed repeated shoulder tackle get a player sent off when the ref doesn't send off a player for striking with the hurley in the same game? The GAA and the Referees badly need to get their act together or there will be far more serious consequences down the road. RTE presenters and pundits as a whole are obviously not interested in the truth.

Last edited:
The Our Game podcast during the week was interesting. Three Offaly men (Duignan, Joe Dooley and co-host Michael Verney), none predicted Offaly would win though all suggested Offaly would play well. JBM went for Cork in the basis of their being more physically mature.

I won't comment on the general standard of Leinster v Munster, but I saw a good bit of Offaly Vs Dublin and Wexford, and I wasn't that impressed by either of their opponents. Dublin were poor, lacked the basic skills or speed to play the running game they were attempting, only managed fourteen scores over the hour. Wexford were better and it was a much closer match, but while it was 15 v 15 they struggled to create chances from play. Offaly moved the ball a lot better in attack, where they look a well-coached side with dangerous forwards in Ravenhill, Mitchell and Screeney. In both matches they were well set-up against the running game, dropping players back to cover their half-back line and tackling in groups further forward. I expect Cork to work the ball better than either Dublin or Wexford, but they will also need to go more direct as well and it is crucial that the ball sticks inside as Offaly are v compact and will be quick onto any breaking ball.

In Cork's attack Cunningham and Healy will be crucial as ball-winners, and hopefully Cremin can fetch a couple as well. Jack Leahy has had a quiet campaign but he made an impact in the Munster final, and if he clicks that gives Cork another option to go longer. Decent options in attack on the bench as well. In defence the key match-ups are on Screeney and Mitchell - I would have Darragh O'Sullivan on the former and Kingston in the latter, but Howell could be switched over onto Mitchell if he is causing serious problems.

Two other things - in each of their matches so far Cork have been quiet for a long spell and their opponents have gotten a run on them - unfortunately I expect the same again today. Against that, Cork have finished every match stronger than their opposition, and I'd also expect, a little more tentatively, for that to happen as well. Cork to win, no clue as to the margin.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Son Of Crazy Chester

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼