Cork u20 Hurling 2023

Acknowledging that Ben needs to be careful regarding mis-timed tackles is hardly pre-game sympathy.

You don't seem to have heard or believe Ben (the Manager) when he said Ben (the hurler) was 'flaayed out' v Limerick after 30 minutes. Did you see Ben playing for the 'Barrs v Ballyea in last years Munster Club semi-final? The comparison could also be seen when Ben got up to speed in the County championship. One must realise the difference in Rugby fitness to Hurling fitness.

How does a mis-timed repeated shoulder tackle get a player sent off when the ref doesn't send off a player for striking with the hurley in the same game? The GAA and the Referees badly need to get their act together or there will be far more serious consequences down the road. RTE presenters and pundits as a whole are obviously not interested in the truth.
Thats an easy one, a half blind man can spot the shoulder tackle, the hurley strike can be very hard to spot for refs. C'mon Cork today, wishing the team, management and supporters all the best.

Acknowledging that Ben needs to be careful regarding mis-timed tackles is hardly pre-game sympathy.

You don't seem to have heard or believe Ben (the Manager) when he said Ben (the hurler) was 'flaayed out' v Limerick after 30 minutes. Did you see Ben playing for the 'Barrs v Ballyea in last years Munster Club semi-final? The comparison could also be seen when Ben got up to speed in the County championship. One must realise the difference in Rugby fitness to Hurling fitness.

How does a mis-timed repeated shoulder tackle get a player sent off when the ref doesn't send off a player for striking with the hurley in the same game? The GAA and the Referees badly need to get their act together or there will be far more serious consequences down the road. RTE presenters and pundits as a whole are obviously not interested in the truth.
Ben was poor against Clare, if hes made his decision to head to Munster then his mind is elsewhere. No point persisting with a guy who will offer Cork nothing going forward over the next years.

This Offaly Team are good, Cork will do well to avoid this banana skin.

Ben was poor against Clare, if hes made his decision to head to Munster then his mind is elsewhere. No point persisting with a guy who will offer Cork nothing going forward over the next years.

This Offaly Team are good, Cork will do well to avoid this banana skin.
Do you want to ring Ben (the manager) or will I? 🙄

The Our Game podcast during the week was interesting. Three Offaly men (Duignan, Joe Dooley and co-host Michael Verney), none predicted Offaly would win though all suggested Offaly would play well. JBM went for Cork in the basis of their being more physically mature.

I won't comment on the general standard of Leinster v Munster, but I saw a good bit of Offaly Vs Dublin and Wexford, and I wasn't that impressed by either of their opponents. Dublin were poor, lacked the basic skills or speed to play the running game they were attempting, only managed fourteen scores over the hour. Wexford were better and it was a much closer match, but while it was 15 v 15 they struggled to create chances from play. Offaly moved the ball a lot better in attack, where they look a well-coached side with dangerous forwards in Ravenhill, Mitchell and Screeney. In both matches they were well set-up against the running game, dropping players back to cover their half-back line and tackling in groups further forward. I expect Cork to work the ball better than either Dublin or Wexford, but they will also need to go more direct as well and it is crucial that the ball sticks inside as Offaly are v compact and will be quick onto any breaking ball.

In Cork's attack Cunningham and Healy will be crucial as ball-winners, and hopefully Cremin can fetch a couple as well. Jack Leahy has had a quiet campaign but he made an impact in the Munster final, and if he clicks that gives Cork another option to go longer. Decent options in attack on the bench as well. In defence the key match-ups are on Screeney and Mitchell - I would have Darragh O'Sullivan on the former and Kingston in the latter, but Howell could be switched over onto Mitchell if he is causing serious problems.

Two other things - in each of their matches so far Cork have been quiet for a long spell and their opponents have gotten a run on them - unfortunately I expect the same again today. Against that, Cork have finished every match stronger than their opposition, and I'd also expect, a little more tentatively, for that to happen as well. Cork to win, no clue as to the margin.
Great post! Best of luck to the Cork Under 20s today! I'm looking forward to this wonderful occasion as the Offaly support will bring a lot of noise and colour to Semple Stadium. I hope all the Cork fans going can really get behind this team and help them get over the line. Offally will be tricky for sure. If Cork put in a performance, I'd be hoping we get the win. Rebels abú!

Best of luck to all the Cork players and management today. The talk of Offaly having an advantage being used to playing in front of crowds this big is ridiculous, these Cork players have played on the biggest stages for their clubs, schools and counties and will be well used to large crowds and pressure, probably even more so than the Offaly players. All the Offaly players will be good, quick hurlers but there's no denying that we are the physically bigger team. As someone said earlier this week, they have 7 U18's starting, we have 1. This makes discipline even more important as Offaly went down very easy vs Wexford who were also bigger than them. Screeney is a good free taker and they would like nothing more than to give him cheap easy frees. It's also vital that we have no red cards, go in hard definitely but we must be careful. If we play to our potential, I think we'll win but anything less than that and we could be in trouble.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
King K
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

3rd May 2024 @ 10pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼