Cork Minor Hurling 2023

Problem seemed to centre a lot around leaving cert. Because of split season inter county is played first half of year. When do you play minor if it goes to u18? At u17 lads aren't doing leaving but many are at u18

Problem seemed to centre a lot around leaving cert. Because of split season inter county is played first half of year. When do you play minor if it goes to u18? At u17 lads aren't doing leaving but many are at u18
So now you have all the lads in the leaving cert playing u20 intercounty. If anything there’s more playing county u20 doing the leaving than there was lads playing with the old minor rule.

A minor (no pun intended) issue in comparison to the hemorrhaging of club players who haven't the physique or ability to step up to adult grade at 17 years of age.

So now you have all the lads in the leaving cert playing u20 intercounty. If anything there’s more playing county u20 doing the leaving than there was lads playing with the old minor rule.
Ya I can't see a situation that works well as long as inter county is first half of year. But I wouldn't change it either . Think it's better for clubs to play league etc for first part of year building up to championship in July August etc

Ya I can't see a situation that works well as long as inter county is first half of year. But I wouldn't change it either . Think it's better for clubs to play league etc for first part of year building up to championship in July August etc
I agree, but a major part of the GAA’s reasoning for changing it to u17 was the Leaving Cert. Nothing has changed regarding that. If they had it at u17 and u21 you’d had very little playing while doing the Leaving. But then that’s huge gap between 17 and 21.

I believe lads can play u20 and senior now, but can only play one within a 7 day period.

Any news on the captaincy for this year,from my knowledge jayden casey (youghal) or ben walsh(killeagh) would be the prime candidates seeing as ben led killeagh to a p2 minor hurling title last year And Jayden leading youghal to a division 1 county title
Both Ben and Jayden are very good players, but I would not have Jayden as captain. He was not captain of the Youghal u16 or u17 team and I think it would be a weight he does not need. Let him do what he does best, hurling.

The real issue for me is the average 18 year old club player, too old to play minor and not ready to play adult. What’s the answer? A proper u20 club league from April to June with a championship from September to November. County Boards (including our own) have to get their heads around this fast

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Niamh Murphy & Declan Sinnott
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

23rd Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Funny Fridays Special

City Limits, Today @ 8pm

More events ▼