Cork Minor Hurling 2023

I see Peter Sykes from Ballyhooly is a selector. He must be surely the first ever English man to be a selector of a Cork hurling team. Moved to Ireland from Yorkshire in 2005. Nice fella with a massive interest in sport. I don't know much about his hurling brain but Meyler must have picked him for good reason.
But the English and landed gentry ran the game of hurling and the championship for centuries up to the time of the famine. 😎

JBS

I always found his manner strange and aloof and not the type one would associate with management and coaching but he has a record as a player and seems to live for the games. Some years ago I recall speaking to a former Cork senior hurler who played under John Meyler with CIT and he found him similar.

By the way I also find it strange that so many folk like yourself rate him especially after his management cock-up in the 2018 AI senior semi-final v Limerick regarding the Cork subs and his impression in not foreseeing the possibility of extra time in such a big game.

I saw the Cork U-16's win an AI under his management but the team got hammered in the first game of the competition due mainly to poor team selection albeit changes were made throughout the day and they were a different team in the final when defeating Galway. I thought the players responded to Kieran 'Fraggie' Murphy who was coach and selector much more than they did to John as manager.

Much of this post is a repeat of what I posted on here before regarding John as a manager as well as the fact that he came down from the high perch of senior inter-county manager to underage which is admirable of his character but in the heat of battle with Cork teams he hasn't cut the mustard.

Cork minor management under Paudie Murray 2 years back was weak regarding selection and last year under Fraggie also left quite a bit to be desired although it seems the teams were well prepared in other areas. I still enjoyed following and watching those teams especially this year and I look forward to the same regarding the 2024 Cork minors and I wish John Meyler and his management team the best of luck. However it is understood that size, physicality and S&C has already took precedent over hurling skill and natural ability in the preparation of the '24 team which somewhat drains my confidence a bit but we will have to wait and see next spring.

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Big Swinin' Mikeys

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 7pm

More events ▼