Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I think he started wearing a helmet after he suffered concussion v wexford in a league final early 90s?
i think he wore a black cooper but no faceguard. it was definitely after he stopped martin naughtons close range shot cos he was down for treatment after that. the umpire must have been drinking as it clearly couldn't have been a wide ball haha.
i think ger captained the barrs to a county final with blood coming out of his head in 88 as well
he visited the primary school with a black eye on a few occasions if memory serves me right.

It amazing how people have tinted memories. Ger Cunningham was the best goalkeeper over a long period and I rememeber them all back to Paddy Barry.
Paddy Barry..... Could be brilliant but could be awful as well. Brilliant in 1970, shocking in 72 and against Waterford in 74.
Martin Coleman.... Great puck of a ball but not a great shopstopper bar the one against wexford. Never rated him.
Tim Murphy.... Enough said..not up to intercounty standard and often hit balls out for 65 becuase he didnt have the skills or strength to burst out.
Ger Cunningham..... way ahead of the previous keepers. I only remember him dropping a ball once against limerick in 85 or 87. Great puckout and great shopstopper.
Donal Og Cusack...... was good in 99 behind a strong mean defence but really didnt have a lot to do. 2001 to 2004 I thought he was shocking and always made some major errors. He wasnt a shot stopper and hadnt a great puckout. However from 2006 on he got scientific and improved his game and modernised goalkeeping in fairness. But Fitzhenry and Cummin were way ahead. Prbably on a par with Davy.
Martin Coleman. Unlucky imo and way better than his father
ANthony Nash... I dont know what to make of Nash. He was a good shotstopper and had a great puck as we know. However I cant figure out if it was his fault or the defence that we seemed to leave in 3 and 4 goals on numerous occasion
Collins: I think he is at where cusack was in 2004. He needs to work a lot on his game.

Donal og in 2003 new of his weaknesses and he trained for a good period with Ger Cunningham. If you asked Donal he will tell you G C was the best.
M Coleman was a stranger he would stop[ a bullet @ 100 miles an hour but leave a soft shot in.
POL i think you overated Cummins.

I remember cunningham and yes he made mistakes but he was good enough for Johnny clifford and the canon
so good enough for me,

Nice swerve of the question there again jimmy. Cusack started for Cork in 1996 and was selected for Munster as late as 2012. Are you going to contend that he was "not fit enough to lace the boots of Ger Cunningham" as a goalie. Straightforward question jimmy.

Donal og in 2003 new of his weaknesses and he trained for a good period with Ger Cunningham. If you asked Donal he will tell you G C was the best.
M Coleman was a stranger he would stop[ a bullet @ 100 miles an hour but leave a soft shot in.
POL i think you overated Cummins.

If you asked GC do you think he'd honestly try claim Cusack couldn't lace his boots? :rolleyes:

I saw them both in their prime. Both had their faults and their failings. GC certainly had a longer puc but I don' think he was as cute where he pucked it. GC had more presence in goal and was on a par with Cusack for shotstopping. But Cusack was well ahead of GC in terms of bravery imho. I certainly don't think overall either was a whole lot better than the other, and the contention that Cusack couldn't lace Cunningham's boots as a goalie is just errant nonsense.

i think he wore a black cooper but no faceguard. it was definitely after he stopped martin naughtons close range shot cos he was down for treatment after that. the umpire must have been drinking as it clearly couldn't have been a wide ball haha.
i think ger captained the barrs to a county final with blood coming out of his head in 88 as well
he visited the primary school with a black eye on a few occasions if memory serves me right.

Pretty sure that GC started to wear a helmet in goal after a clash in the county in the late 1980s with Glen Rover's (KD for those who remember) where GC ended up requiring stitches in his head. Certainly the first keeper I can remember to wear a helmet.

If you asked GC do you think he'd honestly try claim Cusack couldn't lace his boots? :rolleyes:
I love the way Jimmy's post trigger you to pieces, fair play to him. Anyone with slightest glimmer of cop on could see than he made no comparison between either of them bar both making mistakes which every keeper does. So repeating the pointless question just shows you up to be an absolute moron.

Straight from the puck-out Tomas Mulcahy scored a goal at the other end.

I love the way Jimmy's post trigger you to pieces, fair play to him. Anyone with slightest glimmer of cop on could see than he made no comparison between either of them bar both making mistakes which every keeper does. So repeating the pointless question just shows you up to be an absolute moron.

So you think it's moronic to repeat a question that someone has obviously swerved?:oops:

Interesting.:cool:

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Son Of Crazy Chester

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 10:30pm

More events ▼