Cork Hurlers - Part 2

The discussion was whether or not DOG was fit enough to lace the boots of GC as a goalie as claimed by another barrsman. You chimed in with a frailty that DOG had in your mind.

To which I responded:
Perhaps you're too young to remember the fallibilities of Ger Blue jimmy. Are you going to try back up the suggestion that Cusack isn't fit to lace the boots of Cunningham as a goalie?

Then you told us about how good GC was, again avoiding the direct comparisson. I merely asked you if you'd answer the question.

That you can't stand over the suggestion that DOG couldn't lace GC's boots as a goalie says it all though. :cool:
You're some pity.

The discussion was whether or not DOG was fit enough to lace the boots of GC as a goalie as claimed by another barrsman. You chimed in with a frailty that DOG had in your mind.

To which I responded:
Perhaps you're too young to remember the fallibilities of Ger Blue jimmy. Are you going to try back up the suggestion that Cusack isn't fit to lace the boots of Cunningham as a goalie?

Then you told us about how good GC was, again avoiding the direct comparisson. I merely asked you if you'd answer the question.

That you can't stand over the suggestion that DOG couldn't lace GC's boots as a goalie says it all though. :cool:

Cop on, you're only arguing with yourself you boring clown.

I remember at the time wondering why on earth the umpire was waving such an obvious deflection wide, and the only conclusion I could come to at the time was he was emphatically saying that it wasn't a goal. Nothing else made any sense either 🤷â€â™‚ï¸
spot on. the ball must have hit the side of the net and given that it was a certain goal opp the umpire reacted instinctively but wrongly :). a nod to the greatness of the save really...

Cunningham was a good goalkeeper
Cusack changed the way an entire sport was played

Any rational analysis of the two players would recognise that cork would have won titles in cunninghams era witha different goalkeeper who wasnt quite as good
With a different goalkeeper in cusacks time those cork players would have one all ireland in 99 for multiple reasons

Cunningham was a good goalkeeper
Cusack changed the way an entire sport was played

Any rational analysis of the two players would recognise that cork would have won titles in cunninghams era witha different goalkeeper who wasnt quite as good
With a different goalkeeper in cusacks time those cork players would have one all ireland in 99 for multiple reasons
You're right about Cusack's influence on goalkeeping.

Not a Cusack fan 1 bit but have to recognise him as a far better overall keeper in my opinon
He was defo a lot braver than Cunningham, better shot stopper & overall had more to him

Not a Cusack fan 1 bit but have to recognise him as a far better overall keeper in my opinon
He was defo a lot braver than Cunningham, better shot stopper & overall had more to him
Played at different times and had different strengths.
Ger C could hit the 21 no matter what the weather. He was never expected to ping a ball into someone's hand at 50 yards.
Ger C was extremely brave to the tune of something like 120+ stitches in his head from coming for high balls over the course of his career.
DOC was a different keeper - great shot stopper - took the prep for goalkeeping to a new level including coloured contacts to better see the ball - and of course he had to deal with a level of abuse Ger C did not have to deal with.

Both of them were excellent keepers for their time.

How we could have done with a keeper who could cannon the ball to the 21 for fun during the course of the Summer.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Souldriven

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼