Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Maybe, Cahalane's first yellow was certainly soft, and I still believe it cost Cork an AI. We had Waterford on the rack and would surely have beaten an ordinary Galway team.I agree with regards to Gleeson but this just adds to my argument about lopsided refereeing.
I don't recall it being that soft a yellow. Regardless, he should have been carded before that anyway, when he pulled across a Waterford player who iirc had the ball in his hand. Cork didn't have Waterford on the rack in that match - just a point up when Cahalane walked. And Galway were not an ordinary team in 2017 - they were probably the best side in the country, and would have been narrow favourites for the AI regardless if who they played in the final.

Blind boy Owens was required by the cccc to review the gleeson incident after the game in order to establish whether he had a case to answer or not, after viewing it in detail using all the various camera angles he determined that gleeson had broken no rules and therefore had no case to answer.
I never saw anything worse. Gleeson pushed Meade as he tried to pick up the ball and the ball went over the sideline. Foul number 1. As Meade sat on the ground, Gleeson gripped his helmet by the faceguard and tore it off. A red card offence, according to their own rules. Waterford got a sideline.

I never saw anything worse. Gleeson pushed Meade as he tried to pick up the ball and the ball went over the sideline. Foul number 1. As Meade sat on the ground, Gleeson gripped his helmet by the faceguard and tore it off. A red card offence, according to their own rules. Waterford got a sideline.
I havnt seen red card stats but I would imagine Gleeson was well up on the list, even more so at club level.
Such a talented player but filthy.

Where ever there is a playable pitch given recent rainfall!
They played on the Maguire 3g pitches in UL. Saw about 30 mins of it, was predominately 2nd string and those needing a game -Saunderson, NOL, TOM, ER, MM, Daire OL, Darragh Fitz (played CF), DD, ST (played FF), BC, COC etc. Sean O’D was there in a track suit on the side line, might have been there for support as captain. Heard that about him before, even if not required he still shows up. TOC was on sideline but cam on for a few mins. Robbie O’F was doing lots of sprints prior to the game and was moving well! He didn’t come on when I was there though.

NOL played like a man possessed. Management were giving lots of encouragement from the sidelines to young Mullins. Fitzy was glorious at times up through the centre and put the fear of god into the Galway defence. Cunningham looked like a guy seriously lacking in confidence; would be hard to see him making match day panel. Saw him play for UCC against MIC earlier this year too and it was the same thing, even his free taking broke down that day and he was removed from that. Seems to not want to engage in battle in the air or on the ground, constantly waiting for a ball to break to him. Overall, for the 30 minutes I saw it was a tame enough affair, conditions were tough enough with a strong wind and heavy showers. Did not see many of the first team names like RD, GM, CJ, hoggie or AC, so surprised to see all the talk that Connolly was injured there. As I said, was only there for 30 mins from 1pm so those guys were either in a dressing room, played earlier or were not there at all. Or maybe he got injured in a different training session.

How did you get wind that the game was on in UL, did you happen to be strolling by? Why not stay for the full game, were conditions atrocious? Was Conor Whelan playing for Galway?

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼