Cork Hurlers - Part 2

I rewatched the Waterford game again yesterday. Just a few observations before the expected fire and brimstone tomorrow night.

The 5 goal chances Waterford created are a little overstated. Waterford opened us up twice. Once down the center where Tommy O Connell got caught wrong side of Shane Bennett who set up Peter Hogan and the second time was a result of Niall O Leary getting skinned by Hutchinson under a high ball.
The Hutchinson chance rebound back out from Collins and ended up with Bennett canoning the ball of Damien Cahalanes helmet so that was 2 goal chances for the price of one move.
Another goal chance was Collins blunder that he just swiped off the line.
Another goal chance was a result of a quick free that the Cork defence was completely asleep for, I'd imagine they got a fair bollocking for that from Wayne Sherlock during week and I don't expect anything like that to happen again to Cork for the remainder of the championship.

Cork also created 2 goal chances. The Brian Roche chance and a chance at the end where Shane Kingston had a classy pick up and spin only to be dragged down by Prunty. He had the Waterford defense opened up with that bit of skill and a goal was more then likely only for Pruntys foul. Both Cork chances still ended up in Cork points so it wasn't all that frustrating.

Shane Barrett was not as poor as some here made out. He got on a lot of ball in the 2cd half and only for his wayward shooting we would all have been raving about him.

Seamie had a very poor 1st half but thundered into after half time I'd say rustiness was a factor with him and I'd expect a big game from him tomorrow night.

Joyce is a rolls royce of a center back but he needs to improve his distribution. I'd nearly go as far as too say his distribution was the poorest of the 6 backs last Sunday. Also he needs to be carefull with some of his challenges. He was lucky not to give away a penalty for a trip in the first half and also he hit Shane Bennett late for one of Waterfords goal chances in the 2cd half and got away with it. He won't always be that lucky.

I only saw Tipp against Waterford and Kilkenny in the league. I thought they were ultra aggressive in both games. The Waterford game in particular they singled out Bennett for a lot of punishment. Some of it not entirely within the rulebook. I wouldn't be surprised if they tried the same tactic tomorrow night against possibly Darragh Fitzgibbon.

You can't beat Cork and Tipp. In 2016 we gave a shocking performance against them and got hammered only to come back the following year and beat them and they reigning All Ireland champions. Last year we humiliated them in their own field. Worst ever beating in the championship. They will be spitting fire at us tomorrow night. Its going to be epic.
You deserve a Cork sportsperson of the month award for watching the Waterford match again.. horrendous stuff

A year can be a long time in sport and Clare were without their 1st choice goalie but didn't play without one. After the Galway game last year not many Cork supporters rated the Cork goalkeeper which was a lengthy debate on here over the winter.

Tipp are a very different team from last year and now with a proven inter-county manager. I hope you're correct regarding the result 'Rebels all day' but we should all see a far better Tipp team to Waterford last Sunday.

I for one wasn't as impressed with the Cork defending and lack of a goalscoring threat last Sunday. However I was impressed with the Cork energy and workrate particularly in the middle third but believe much more is required to defeat Tipp.
You can argue Cork didn’t have goal scoring chances because they had too many prime point scoring opportunities. They never had to force the issue.

Between me and yourself not a notion. I broke the IPhone in frustration after breaking 2 TVs ( second one is not broken just has Chinese subtitles and no sound) and I spent the afternoon with some guy named Chuck from Harvey Norman’s whom talked me into buying a new TV a toaster and a steam iron that all works from Apple cast or something similar so I am down about 1150 euro give or take for a 12 euro fee on gaago.
Keep it to yourself you know them city folk will be mocking us if word gets out 👍
My lips are sealed.

Between me and yourself not a notion. I broke the IPhone in frustration after breaking 2 TVs ( second one is not broken just has Chinese subtitles and no sound) and I spent the afternoon with some guy named Chuck from Harvey Norman’s whom talked me into buying a new TV a toaster and a steam iron that all works from Apple cast or something similar so I am down about 1150 euro give or take for a 12 euro fee on gaago.
Keep it to yourself you know them city folk will be mocking us if word gets out 👍
Fin, chuck is my cousin, he was telling me last night about this bogger that was lost in the dishwasher section looking for tvs, were you wearing your old style magpies jersey with the words “The King was better than Ger Blue” emblazoned across it?

He said he warned you the steam iron was not fit for the purposes you needed it for but what goes on behind closed doors is your own business boy 🤣

Chuck is gone into therapy over you, he’s never been outside the city bounds (why would you?) and he didn’t know there was a different species of Cork man living amongst us. I’ll pass you on his therapy bill so I reckon that €1150 is only the tip of the iceberg 🤣

Rebels Abu,GAAGO Abu, Boggers Abu, Therapy Abu and Smart TV Abu, finny Abu!

Last edited:
R&B
I can see your up early kid 👍
I unfortunately won’t be making . Just my dad wasn’t feeling the best but all good.
One of the most important points I seen made on here in the build up was Morello that stuck with me all week
He made the very valid point about the work rate and intense attitude and this really hit home with me.
It’s been a while since I ever seen a Cork team play with so much hunger I would say and I think this evening the crowd will feel it and that’s massive imo.
We can talk tactics and all that already I feel just a different vibe about things but maybe that’s just me.
Saturday night under lights almost sold out and what more can any other ask for.
Rebels Abu

R&B
I can see your up early kid 👍
I unfortunately won’t be making . Just my dad wasn’t feeling the best but all good.
One of the most important points I seen made on here in the build up was Morello that stuck with me all week
He made the very valid point about the work rate and intense attitude and this really hit home with me.
It’s been a while since I ever seen a Cork team play with so much hunger I would say and I think this evening the crowd will feel it and that’s massive imo.
We can talk tactics and all that already I feel just a different vibe about things but maybe that’s just me.
Saturday night under lights almost sold out and what more can any other ask for.
Rebels Abu
the early bird catches the worm fin 🤣

Ah dissapointed you won’t get to the game but family is more important, glad to hear your dad is doing ok

Morello was spot on, the attitude and intensity in the squad this year is completely different, there will be no backing down from anyone and we are playing a lovely brand of hurling. When I think back to what we were at 12 months a shiver runs down my spine.

Huge game for us today, a win will put us on the verge of qualification and will give us the head to head advantage over Tipp which could be crucial in the end.

The newcomers have added real value to the team, Tommy is a hardy buck in the old style midleton way, Brian Roche is a reincarnation of Bill Cooper and Declan Dalton is showing what I’ve been saying for 5 years, what a beast of a man. And there’s plenty more on the way

The Pairc will be heaving tonight and long May that continue . I’m hopeful for tonight and for the year ahead but whatever happens there is a red wave coming again

People say Cork don’t do “dummy teams” but on the occasion I think they will.
It avoids a media focus on named players “dropped” or “loses out” which would be harsh given all 15 played pretty well last week.
Tactically the set up will be different versus Tipp which will suit certain players better. We also have players coming back from suspension.
A good start is vital so I’d be very surprised if Eoin Downey and one another change aren’t made from the start this evening.
Most likely is Robbie if fully fit but don’t rule out Kingston either. His pace would might be deployed close to goal with Seanie playing a role further out from goal than he did versus Waterford. He was rarely under a puckout last week. Match ups will be planned and Tipp defence has potential weaknesses to be exposed.

Nicky English in Irish Times reckons pace and home advantage could swing it Corks way this evening. Like many pundits, he’s also suggesting the draw as a possibility

Nothing in this one. Really hard to call. Looks like both forward lines have an advantage over the respective defences so high scoring for sure.

I really hope we’ll be talking about the Pat Ryan factor this time tomorrow. Cork come from 5 or 6 down and win it by 2 at the death with the bench, and the crowd, playing a huge part.

Looks like a massive crowd on the cards, last game in the Pairc for our hurlers this year, could be a special evening lads, loads of noise & support from the start, can’t wait.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny

The Roundy, Today @ 8:30pm

More events ▼