Cork Hurlers - Part 2

Definitely a bit of bite in Cork last Sunday. I too was not overly bothered by Shane Kingston's sending off.
I thought Tim O'Mahony had a nice bit of steel about him without being too reckless. He wasn't afraid to swing the timber and looked like he pulled on a couple balls more for the message it sent than necessarily being the best way to play the ball on each occasion.

It may count for nought come championship, but it'd be churlish to not recognise that this Cork team have done all that could reasonably be asked of them at this stage of the season

Mentioned it after the first 2 games but Darragh Fitz again was brilliant on Sunday. Great to see the lad getting back to his best. Obviously will need to continue it now and will get more and more difficult for him as his direct opponents get up to speed but great signs for Cork. If he can get back to what we all know he can, it is a massive boost. Loved the physical side to Corks game on Sunday. Appreciate that it wasnt Limerick anywhere near full tilt but quite a few of those lads will be playing come the first Munster game so no harm to put down a bit of a marker that we wont be pushed aside easy this year. In the first half Cork never gave an inch. Kingstons tackle was silly but almost pleased in a way to see it. Too many times Cork would leave a team do to them what Finn did to Kingston and do nothing back. No harm to see a bit of fight back - obviously cant afford for someone like Shane to lose the head like that come the big days though. I know its only the league but I thoroughly enjoyed the game Sunday and some of the stuff played by Cork was great to watch. Now lets keep it going against Galway and Wexford who will be 2 very physical challenges too. Keep the momentum going now all the way.
Hear fitzgibbon was badly hampered last year by covid, took an awful lot out of him,

quote="TheOutdoorThreadmill" Imo the opinion they were. Do you really think you will change my mind, seriously, have a lie down for yourself. That's not what you asked, I don't do changing parameters.As for Kilkenny and Limerick being filthy, shhh now, this thread can only take so many pathetic supporters in one day. The bigger bully boys, embarrassing

Not out to change anyones mind but as I stated it's simply not true.

What I stated regarding Flanagan is fact and not relative to Harnedy. When you brought Harnedy into the mix then I asked the question.

Label them the bigger bully boys if you want, I'm just willing to go so much further. We already had Cody moaning for a couple of decades and we heard it from Kiely during last year's league. The wheel is turning as we saw last year Cork v Cats in Croker and last Sunday in the Gaelic Grounds.

Last edited:
Wouldn't mind seeing Hoggie kept on the bench at the weekend. I thought he was decent, not brilliant on Sunday. But regardless Hoggie is Hoggie he'll be ready for Championship, we need to find lads to play with him that will be ready whether starting or off the bench. Would love to see Connolly start and see what he can do. It would be great if he really could make the leap this year.

****Admin please delete if this post goes against group policy

Hi all,

I'd like to advertise an online auction of sports memorabilia and match tickets to raise money for my brother's recovery from a stroke he suffered in late 2020. He was only 23 at the time and is a member of Blackrock National Hurling Club

There are some items in the auction which I think may be of interest to GAA fans;

1. A framed Cork GAA jersey signed by the 2021 Senior Hurling Team
2. Signed and framed Tipp, Clare, Limerick, Munster Jerseys

Any support is greatly appreciated! Check out the link below for more details

Thanks,

Elliot

Happy with that performance on Sunday. The level of work rate, intensity, tackling and physicality was something I have not seen from this team before. There was also a refreshing level of bite and dare I say bit of filth about them. We'll need that in 6 weeks time.

Tactically I was also impressed. One of Barrett or Lehane were always in close proximity of Hannon in that first half which really disrupted Limerick. Both players exemplified Cork's attitude on Sunday. In April, having a player very close to Hannon is something Cork will have to do as I think he is a player who can be rattled if not given the space to cover ground and sweep albeit he is still a fantastic centre back. Hannon really makes them tick working the ball out and finding their attackers. This is something we will have to limit again which I think we can do.

Fantastic to see Darragh Fitz back to his best. A Rolls Royce of a hurler and crucial to have him in full flow for championship. Great to see good form too from Coleman, Tim, Kingston, (I was not too disappointed with his red card) O'Donoghue and Niall O'Leary who are really turning into leaders of this group. Ciarán Joyce was supreme and will easily slot into the team either at half back or midfield. Management may keep him at half back for April as I think we need Millerick covering Lynch from midfield if Coleman is centre back, which it seems he is almost certain to be.

A good day at the office, but let's be real, Limerick were shocking. It's worth reminding how important Nickie Quaid is to that team as Hennessy's puckouts were a disaster for them. For next week, I'd give Joyce a rest due to his Fresher's semi final on Wednesday. O'Leary deserves another run out at fullback. I'd rotate a few of the forwards to have a look at them.

Collins
O'Donoghue, O'Leary, O'Leary-Hayes
O'Mahony, Coleman, Downey
Millerick, Fitzgibbon
Harnedy, Barrett, Twomey
O'Connor, Connolly, Horgan

Last edited:
EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..