Cork Footballers

We cannot get away from the fact that the standard of senior club football in Cork is not great - and hasn't been for many years. It's a long time since Cork clubs dominated the All Ireland club championship. It's rare for our senior club champions to even get out of Munster now.

Maybe we should be a little less vitriolic in our criticism of the Cork football team & management. Like it or not, they are, more or less, the best group of individuals that we can assemble. They are putting in a huge effort and time committment, all are amateurs, with no financial gain.

They are human and many (most?) probably read what is said about them here on the PROC.

I am not saying we can't be critical, but some of the criticism here of individual players & managers borders on the personal.

Cork clubs have won 3 of the last 5 senior Munster club finals….did you even check this before posting? Club championships have almost negligible impact on senior inter county, if they did, Down would be winning all Irelands, kilmacud had maybe 1/2 starters for Dublin over the last 5 years and I would ask anyone who likes football to watch some of the Dublin club championship if they think or assume it’s a great standard.
This is an average cork team but they are trying, part of the reason is the fact we haven’t and don’t develop players with potential and a classic example of this is the fact we had a player start vs Donegal taken off at half time and hasn’t got a kick since while we can actually know who will come on and when for cork next Saturday.
The coaching at intercounty level in cork just isn’t at the same level of what the top counties are doing either, our senior players who try their best and are good soldiers keep making the same mistakes in every game and you can be sure this will be exposed next Saturday.
Anyway looking at recent minor and u20 results this could be the high water mark for cork football for a few years yet

The coaching at intercounty level in cork just isn’t at the same level of what the top counties are doing either, our senior players who try their best and are good soldiers keep making the same mistakes in every game and you can be sure this will be exposed next Saturday.
Anyway looking at recent minor and u20 results this could be the high water mark for cork football for a few years yet
Look, criticism is fine (and as you point out, there is plenty to be critical about) - but personal stuff is not.

A recent example is someone described a member of the coaching staff as a "mercenary".

I'm sure the person involved won't become a millionaire from what the CCC are paying him.

Anyway, we all get paid to do our jobs, but that does not make us mercanaries. Not in the standard definition of the word, anyway.

I also watched it on GAA Go, and everything you wrote here also occurred to me.

They certainly have the look of it.

It could be. But we have a shot at them. Could be great too. Dare to hope. Imagine what it'll feel like when we take them down.
GKk17ztWoAAl8H4.jpg

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Notes From Sheepland (12A)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 2pm

More events ▼