Cork Footballers

Agree with you regarding Mark Collins, he is now 32 and for me he was always a one paced player at senior inter-county level anyway. However there is no way a player at 28-30 is past it and Cork simply cannot rely only on the AI winning Minor and U-21 teams from 2019 to compliment Kevin O'Donovan, Sean Powter, Ian Maguire etc. That was 3 years back and only 2 players have come through from them successes namely Sean Meehan and Cathal O'Mahony and they've had serious injuries. Players such as Conor Corbett, Jack Lawton, Michael O'Neill and Danny Linehan etc. have all been hampered severly by injuries and some of them may never make it. Any older players showing good form at club level should be seriously considered by John Cleary and his selectors.
Was Gore not part of that U20 team, has been around the panel since 2020 aswell

Honestly I think he a ready made centre back with Liam O Donovan and Powter in the 2 wings.
The talk on here of bringing in BOD is laughable. Supposedly “flying it” because he kicked a 2/3 scores from midfield against a few thrown together divisional teams and all of a sudden he’s an inter county centre back? When was the last time he played centre back? Even at junior club, nevermind intercounty.

Nowhere near the discipline or defensive skills for the position. You’d put him up against Seanie O’Shea or Ciaran Kilkenny would you?

I could see an argument for bringing back an older guy like Tom Clancy or Mark Collins as on their day they’re better than some of the guys in the current team but the likes of BOD and Deane aren’t even as good as the younger guys, why on earth would a manager displace a guy with more potential for the likes of BOD?

Cranky Corner Forwar and Cork93

I was referring to players making an impression when playing rather than panellists. An argument can be made for Maurice Shanley and Colm O'Callaghan since his move to centre-field but I wouldn't go down that road. The rest have simply not cut the mustard yet and Mark Cronin and Fionn Herlihy are other players for your list as they were also involved with the U-20 winning team in 2019.

Last edited:
The talk on here of bringing in BOD is laughable. Supposedly “flying it” because he kicked a 2/3 scores from midfield against a few thrown together divisional teams and all of a sudden he’s an inter county centre back? When was the last time he played centre back? Even at junior club, nevermind intercounty.

Nowhere near the discipline or defensive skills for the position. You’d put him up against Seanie O’Shea or Ciaran Kilkenny would you?

I could see an argument for bringing back an older guy like Tom Clancy or Mark Collins as on their day they’re better than some of the guys in the current team but the likes of BOD and Deane aren’t even as good as the younger guys, why on earth would a manager displace a guy with more potential for the likes of BOD?
There is no footballers bar Powter who could mark them does this mean he is still not worth a place on the Cork Panel at least and prove if he up to it or not in the coming league.

Shane Walsh roasted Sean Meehan in the league game in pairc ui Chaoimh this year against galway does that mean Meenhan not also worth his spot on the cork team?

I

Rather the young lads over BOD. BOD had his chance and we’ve a fair idea of his ceiling. 3 or 4 seasons of inter county football be it league or championship should bring the young 20 year olds on leaps and bounds provided the attitude is right and injuries stay away.

There is no footballers bar Powter who could mark them does this mean he is still not worth a place on the Cork Panel at least and prove if he up to it or not in the coming league.

Shane Walsh roasted Sean Meehan in the league game in pairc ui Chaoimh this year against galway does that mean Meenhan not also worth his spot on the cork team?

I
In fairness Shane Walsh and Clifford are almost unmarkable if given good service. Kerry put Tom O Sullivan their best defender on Walsh in the A I final and we all know how that worked out. AFAIK our man Meehan did as well if not better.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Corner House, Coburg St.

5th Jun 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..

3 Of A Kind

Dwyers Of Cork, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼