Cork Footballers

Just not enough natural kickers on the teams. Not enough players comfortable on the ball. Even in the senior game sean Powter soloed the ball in front of him resulting in an uneccessary collision. Colm o callaghan and Magurie midfield great workers but none of them you would say couod kick a point from 40 yards naturally. Cork play v kerry for long spells but eg. When twice callaghan went soloing down through kerry defence against 5 players. That was something you wouldnt see kerry doing. Cork just dont trust their football enough. Rebel og should be getting all players to be able to kick off both feet. Get a player to come back to me in a month for example and show me that they have improved off their weak leg for example.

This is the much criticised Cubby managed team. Such a well worked goal here. Look at the kick passing and movement. 4 good kick passes, good movement, brilliant vision by Mark Collins and Donnacha and a good finish. This is 7 years ago this year. There are still players out there in Cork who can do this if properly coached, there always has been. An example of the difference coaching and management makes is that Mark Collins, who was the best kick passer in the county for ages, rarely got a run at 11 with Cork. I remember going to a few games and seeing him stuck in the full forward line. Made no sense.

In summary, post above is entirely accurate and relevant. Minor game in Tralee last night was stark viewing really. There's some good people in that Cork ticket but how in the name of the blessed virgin can you have a team training for 6 months and rarely if ever kick the ball and not score from play? It doesn't say much for the coaching, if you'd call it that.

Minor has to go back to u18 too , its too much pressure on young lads also because of covid no rebel og for the last couple of seasons..
Agreed on age but nothing else, it was the same for everyone else, no more excuses, we need to stop making them or we will go nowhere - they were poorly or incorrectly prepared/selected - take your pick.

Just not enough natural kickers on the teams. Not enough players comfortable on the ball. Even in the senior game sean Powter soloed the ball in front of him resulting in an uneccessary collision. Colm o callaghan and Magurie midfield great workers but none of them you would say couod kick a point from 40 yards naturally. Cork play v kerry for long spells but eg. When twice callaghan went soloing down through kerry defence against 5 players. That was something you wouldnt see kerry doing. Cork just dont trust their football enough. Rebel og should be getting all players to be able to kick off both feet. Get a player to come back to me in a month for example and show me that they have improved off their weak leg for example.

Totally agree on the 2 sided player. But I think we need to be a bit more radical in fostering two-sidedness. Players want to win matches, and want to be the key to winning matches. I think from u9 to u15 at least, in competitive matches administered by Rebel Og, a player who scores with foot or hand should be awarded double-scores if his last score of the same type (goal or point) was with the opposite foot or hand (and then the slate is cleaned again). Yes I know - don't refs already have more than enough to be keeping track of! But if we REALLY want to improve in this area, we have to reward it where it matters most to players - in competitive matches, and that will mean tracking it - noting the number of the player and the limb used for each score. Imagine, 2 points down and time is up - kick with the weaker foot to level it. Or your 10 year old coming home saying he got three goals - 'cos he scored the second goal with the opposite foot. And if forwards become more two sided, backs will have to at least learn how to defend 2 sided.

I guarantee that with rewards in real matches, and not just in training drills, players will be a lot more motivated to improve it, both in organized training sessions, and on their own (which is an important aspect to developing skills).

The resulting delays in restarts is a problem with the my proposal alright. Ideally umpires would be responsible for it (noting jersey number), but in most underage matches the umpires end up being people involved with either side and not neutrals brought by the ref. So I think it HAS to be the ref. The downside may be too much - but I think it's at least worth experimenting with to find out.

Players want to win matches, and want to be the key to winning matches. I think from u9 to u15 at least, in competitive matches administered by Rebel Og

Or your 10 year old coming home saying he got three goals - 'cos he scored the second goal with the opposite foot. And if forwards become more two sided, backs will have to at least learn how to defend 2 sided.

There are no competitive matches in Cork at CCB level until u13. Mini games up to u11 with localised "development leagues" at u12. Our u11 and u12 boys are too precious to play competitive games, despite participating competitively in other sports. Anyone watching the primary games at half time in the Cork Kerry match could see the difference in intensity between the two teams.

However the LGFA in Cork have county championships at u12 level for the girls. The underage results for our ladies teams speak for themselves

Good post there 'peopleluas' but Cork clubs in general do not have enough interest in gaelic football to go that road.
I don't know the story with hurling but my guess is kids get more encouragement to improve and from an earlier age.
In Kerry and the top football counties there is nothing else to distract.

There are no competitive matches in Cork at CCB level until u13. Mini games up to u11 with localised "development leagues" at u12. Our u11 and u12 boys are too precious to play competitive games, despite participating competitively in other sports. Anyone watching the primary games at half time in the Cork Kerry match could see the difference in intensity between the two teams.

However the LGFA in Cork have county championships at u12 level for the girls. The underage results for our ladies teams speak for themselves
Fair point on competitiveness in general, and l am aware of this. Or has it now got to the stage where the ref doesn't even keep the score? - well then the players own coaches should.

But in the context of my proposal, by "competitive" I mean what the boys think. When players at that age are playing a game where the result matters to THEM, the I suggest that there be something in such a match to big time reward two sidedness. If the ref isn't keeping score, then the players own coaches should. Every player wants to "win".

Last edited:
There are a lot of reasons cork are failing at football but lack of ‘competitive’ games for 11 year olds is NOT one of them. The reason go games was brought in was because Neanderthals at under age level were focusing only on winning and not developing players and giving everyone game time and the numbers were falling off a cliff…..go games are about creating an environment whereby players stay with their club also, it’s not just about the intercounty game.
Cork are fucked in football as we don’t focus on the areas of defending and kicking in our coaching and there is a real pack of serious effort within schools. Everything else including trying to blame hurling is nonsense.
We don’t have a focus on primary aspects of the game in general in terms of defending and kicking……making u9 and u12 competitive is not going to resolve the issue

Just watched the u20 football 1th half. Tyrone gave some display of kicking for scores. We need someone to start this type of game down here in cork.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Biz

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼