Cork Footballers

There are a lot of reasons cork are failing at football but lack of ‘competitive’ games for 11 year olds is NOT one of them. The reason go games was brought in was because Neanderthals at under age level were focusing only on winning and not developing players and giving everyone game time and the numbers were falling off a cliff…..go games are about creating an environment whereby players stay with their club also, it’s not just about the intercounty game.
Cork are fucked in football as we don’t focus on the areas of defending and kicking in our coaching and there is a real pack of serious effort within schools. Everything else including trying to blame hurling is nonsense.
We don’t have a focus on primary aspects of the game in general in terms of defending and kicking……making u9 and u12 competitive is not going to resolve the issue

I agree with most of that.

In our small rural club, I've been registrar for years. Most people in the club don't realize the massive extent of the player dropout rate until they see a graph of it - which of course I share, and we have an excellent underage chairman who is focused on it.

I think there is another factor we have to be careful of. In our (totally legit) earnestness to teach skills, I fear we are making football coaching at the young ages less like the enjoyment of school-break-time and more like school-classroom - i.e. in respect of their performance of skills, young players are subject to constant adult instruction, oversight, assessment (whether explicit or implied), etc. However encouraging adults are in this context, it has the feeling of school classroom. Humans, and many other animals, learn best by play, where the play imitates adult activities, and so species have evolved to enjoy play for that very reason. The coach of children is part of that play - so it's not a fun play unless the coach PRETENDS to the children that the coach wants to win - they key though is that the coach should not ACTUALLY want to win, and should thus mediate his/her coaching accordingly to match the fact that it's playtime for the children.

In that context, my view on competitiveness is that children will naturally be competitive in their playtime, and as competitive as is healthy for them to be at the age they are at - and the job of a coach (and the administration) is to be child-led in that regard and engage at the same level - not to increase (or decrease) the competitiveness.

I know from experience though that it's very very difficult to live up to this ideal - the underage coach, however well motivated and informed, is also under pressure from parents and other adults on the sideline who don't understand that this should be playtime. Obviously the Go Games are organized to help this kind of coach - and that kind of coach can tell the kids that (for example), for fun, they're going to double-count scores taken with a second side - or in some way reward a skill the coach wishes to focus on. And the coach can do that without adding competitiveness - just change the rules of the game and let the kids be as competitive or not as they want to be.

Mayo, Cork, Louth, Tyrone, Meath, Monaghan, Clare, Armagh.

to play off to meet the provincial losers.

Louth/ Limerick would be a handy route to a hammering in the QF.

Mayo, Cork, Louth, Tyrone, Meath, Monaghan, Clare, Armagh.

to play off to meet the provincial losers.

Louth/ Limerick would be a handy route to a hammering in the QF.
Be very little handy about either of them but they’d be the handiest of the lot alright.

Clare or Meath are our only other hopes really. Meath took a bad hammering today so might be a good time to catch them when they’re low.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Shlomo Franklin
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

27th Apr 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Colm Murphy

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼