Cork Footballers

Asking because I don't know. Are the players given S&C programs to do on their own? If so, are there trainers monitoring those? In football, moreso than hurling, we have players from every corner of the county. My question - are there lads on their own squatting and dead-lifting on their own gyms all over the county. Minor differences in form can affect whether a player gets injured or not. Or worse yet, are lads squatting and not dead-lifting i.e. lifting weights in an unbalanced way? Could the injury problems come from something as simple as not doing the S&C in pods?
We've had a massive turnover of S and C coaches in the last few years. No continuity. No accountability. They need a S and C coach to work with players for a few years. The chopping and changing has played a part in the cluster fuck we see now.

The problem with S&C of the current bunch is that the majority of them lack natural size to begin with and a whole lot of them are still growing because they’re so young. Some of them will have a low ceiling of conditioning because of their naturally smaller size.

Just to go through the team last night we have Corkery, Taylor, O’Donovan, Herlihy, Dineen, Sherlock & O’Rourke are all naturally smaller individuals who are being worked on but they won’t ever be fully powerful enough to thrive consistently at this level. Everyone else except both Maguires and O’Callaghan also look physically limited. That’s an awful lot of guys short of conditioning for this level even if they’re trying their best.

Galway, who aren’t known to be a physical team, looked huge in comparison. Shane Walsh is probably the peak condition for this level. He is strong, quite tall but without compromising his speed which is like lightning. No matter how good our players are as footballers they will never get to that sort of level because they’re naturally stunted by size.

The problem with S&C of the current bunch is that the majority of them lack natural size to begin with and a whole lot of them are still growing because they’re so young. Some of them will have a low ceiling of conditioning because of their naturally smaller size.

Just to go through the team last night we have Corkery, Taylor, O’Donovan, Herlihy, Dineen, Sherlock & O’Rourke are all naturally smaller individuals who are being worked on but they won’t ever be fully powerful enough to thrive consistently at this level. Everyone else except both Maguires and O’Callaghan also look physically limited. That’s an awful lot of guys short of conditioning for this level even if they’re trying their best.

Galway, who aren’t known to be a physical team, looked huge in comparison. Shane Walsh is probably the peak condition for this level. He is strong, quite tall but without compromising his speed which is like lightning. No matter how good our players are as footballers they will never get to that sort of level because they’re naturally stunted by size.
Rubbish , how do explain a Darren McCurry with Tyrone , Murchan with Dublin. FFS writing fellas off after a few games.

Rubbish , how do explain a Darren McCurry with Tyrone , Murchan with Dublin. FFS writing fellas off after a few games.
Grand to have a few but carrying over half a team with guys of that stature puts you well up against it at this level. Look at the other guys around those players you mentioned - most of them are monsters.

Look at the Cork 2010 team, it was physically ahead of it’s time actually but it only had 2/3 players who were naturally a bit smaller.

We were never going to win those matches. I actually think we are going ok so far but it's the next three matches will be the acid test. Big away match in Meath next. If we win that the mood around the camp will improve considerably. Lose it and the knives will be out again.
Ricken said he has no fear of Division 3, I doubt he really believes that though and was probably always targeting these three games as personally I think it would be a disaster for this young team to go down. This is where we need to be now. I feel the team has already come on despite the heavy losses but we will see.

Listening to the interviews all I am hearing are excuses, this fela is injured, it was raining every night we played etc. instead of saying we were simply not good enough, the work rate wasn't good enough, we are not fit, saying we need "luck", we don't need luck, we need a management that will tell some home truths and put a system in place and get results, I think that this management is more suited to a underage setup where when you have talent your half way to winning, at senior level talent is no good unless you have the attitude and work rate to match it. A few of the experienced lads that walked away why? Imo it was the faith in the management team and from looking at it so far they were right, we are after 3 months collective training and are off the pace, 6-61 conceded in four games against average opposition, at senior level its a results game

Listening to the interviews all I am hearing are excuses, this fela is injured, it was raining every night we played etc. instead of saying we were simply not good enough, the work rate wasn't good enough, we are not fit, saying we need "luck", we don't need luck, we need a management that will tell some home truths and put a system in place and get results, I think that this management is more suited to a underage setup where when you have talent your half way to winning, at senior level talent is no good unless you have the attitude and work rate to match it. A few of the experienced lads that walked away why? Imo it was the faith in the management team and from looking at it so far they were right, we are after 3 months collective training and are off the pace, 6-61 conceded in four games against average opposition, at senior level its a results game
I wouldn’t question the effort of any player. I think they’re trying their best which I can appreciate but that also makes it highly worrying because that’s literally our best out there on the pitch currently and it’s miles off being good enough.

I do think the management might be a bit simplistic in their approach so far. Senior intercounty football is basically professional and everything is down to the fine details. I don’t see any fine detail in our tactics in any aspect. It’s like we are trying to play U20 style football at senior. It’s very naive.

However it’s early days and Ricken is a willing learner so while I do have my doubts I also think he is still probably the best man within Cork for the job now. Time will tell.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

A Matter Of Time

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼