Gerry Ryan's anti-rap rant this morning

gerry's 2fm career is coming to an end very soon (allegedly) so he's just ranting incoherently at everything these days it seems, useless fat twat that he is.

heard some AMAZING shit about him a few weeks ago in dubland, no doubt it'll come out in due course.

Er... I think there are a few things here that people seem to be turning a blind eye to, just because it was Gerry Ryan who brought all of this up. While I whole-heartedly agree with Ho Chi about Gerry Ryan being an absolute moron, some of the rest of the stuff posted here about rap is ever so slightly biased in the other extreme.
People have been quoting 50 cent as being a fad, so to speak, but a number of the major selling artists of the 90's and indeed a few of the start of this century have a very similar style of rap i.e. gangster rap.
The whole gangster rap scene was arguably started by Dr. Dre and NWA and his presence is still very much felt today via Eminem, Busta Rhymes, Eve and 50 cent. In fact, if you were to ask anybody to name a rapper these days, there is one name who also belongs in the above list and who is probably one of the biggest selling rap artists ever... Snoop Dogg.
Snoop also had his origins in gangster rap but more recently he has diversified and thus seen his name become much more well known and he has become a much more respectable and acceptable artist for it, in the main stream music industry anyway.
Now don't get me wrong, rap music is a lot more diverse than just gangster rap but it would be wrong to say it has little or no influence on the music scene.
On some of the points Gerry raised such as for it being evil that’s total BS.
Misogynistic? Well, yes some is or at least appears to be but a lot of it is either tongue in cheek as proclaimed by Dr Dre himself (see A Bitch is a Bitch by N.W.A) or in the case of original gangster rap in the early 90's, it was more social commentary about life in the ghettos of South Central L.A. and the like.
In fact, a lot of N.W.A and its accompanying artist’s original music was just that: social commentary. From the Rodney King incident (N.W.A - Fuck the Police) and the ensuing riots (Dr Dre - The Day the N****z Took Over) to everyday life in the ghetto (Ice Cube - Today was a Good Day). Some where along the line though, people realised that, as Ho Chi pointed out, the gangster element was far more popular than the rest of the social commentary and started to try make money off this alone which brought its own problems and fatalities, most notably Tupac and Biggie.
However, it can be argued that without these original elements, other hip hop styles and artists would not have become as popular as they are today. I mean I originally started listening to hip hop because of the likes of Dr Dre and N.W.A and this eventually led me on to other artists such as Jurassic 5, The Roots, The Jungle Brothers etc. and many other people I know would be the same.
Finally as for Simmons bringing out a "Family version" of rap, why bother? With the likes of Snoop becoming more mainstream and much better music in hip hop (The Roots, Erykah Badu, etc.) I really don't see the point. However, as usual this has probably a lot more to do with money and raising PR than anything to so with the music.

Yeah, I know, I know... but I only heard it because it's what came on when my radio alarm woke me up this morning.

Basically, he went off on one when he said that Russel Simmons had said he wanted to release some rap with no bad language, so there would be no 'radio' and 'unclean' versions. He went on to say this would be impossible, as rap music is evil, nasty, woman-hating, homophobic, racist (or anti-white at least), crime-glorifying, blahdeeblah. Then came out with an extraordinary rant about 'niggah' this, 'niggah' that, but you can't ever say 'niggah' if you're white, how rap music segregates communities, pits Hispanics against blacks, and blacks against white, demeans black culture and black people. You get the idea...

Jesus wept. What a monumentally egostical tosser, what a complete and utter cunt.

I was moved enough to send the fat sack of shit this email.

errr.. i hate to disagree with ya Ho Chi, but when even black community leaders in Britain and America are arguing the very same point - especially right now with the "gangsta" knivings and shootings going on in the black community in England , then its hard to disagree.

Even Public Enemy's Chuck D has spoken up about it - he's gone on the record about it , gangsta rap and "bling" , and is seriously big time against it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_D

"He also acted as narrator in the short film "Bling: Consequences and Repercussions", shot by Kareem Adouard, which explains how diamonds in bling fashion can be conflict diamonds, fueling wars and killings in Africa."

dont get me wrong. i admire hip hop. i admire Chuck D.

but "rap" can go to hell. when people start shooting each other because of a musical lifestyle, then you know that something has gone seriously wrong.

people sometimes forget that "black" music used to be Detroit Techno. "black" music used to be the vocals of Marvin Gaye and funk of Parliament. "black" music used to be SOUL. "black" music used to be House Music.

While yes i know "50 Cent" isn't hip hop, i think you'll agree there is alot closer relationship between the two than there is between fuckin "Barbie Girl" and Carl Craig.

i think you'd be surprised how close a relationship you could draw between carl craig and barbie girl, just read up on your Booka Shade...... !

the lyrics of snoop dog - a man with several million in the bank who still thinks he's from the "hood"

"drop it like its hot"
I'm a Bad Boy, wit a lotta ho's
Drive my own cars, and wear my own clothes
I hang out tough, I'm a real Boss
Big Snoop Dogg, yeah he's so sharp
On the TV screen and in the magazines
If you play me close, you're on a red beam
Oh you got a gun so you wanna pop back?
AK47 now nigga, stop that!

damn good track. but what a wanker like. he doesnt live in the fucking "hood" anymore...

'm a gangsta, but y'all knew that
Da Big Boss Dogg, yeah I had to do that
I keep a blue flag hanging out my backside
But only on the left side, yeah that's the Crip side

oooh - what a big fucking man-child who's never grown up.

if he's so hard why doesnt he join the marine corps and pop a few Islamists in Iraq? tosser.

Gerry Ryan is a pair of clown shoes. A goal, to squeeze off a cleveland steamer on his face.

Coprophilia is neither condoned nor condemed in the previous statement.

Fuck sake - just listened to it there - someone more eloquent and informed than me has gotta phone in tomorrow.

"Joni Mitchell stopped recording because of the birth of Def Jam" - hehe!!

Having re-listened to his piece (indeed, hearing it in all its incoherent entirity), I'm going to volunteer myself should Gerry ever choose to revisit the subject.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
John Smith
The White Horse, Ballincollig

12th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼