Wuhan Wheeze

I went to Wuhan last year for a day on a work trip. I hadn't even heard of the place until about a week beforehand. There are 11 million people living there. Fucking hell.

Ok, back to population wipe out.

Yeah. I was in Wuhu a few years ago. Took a look at a map, thought maybe 20k people. 4 mill. Stayed the next night in Hefei. 8 mill. Never heard of either about 3 days beforehand. But we've all heard of Alice Springs, pop. 26k. Bonkers.

BEIJING — France confirmed two cases of coronavirus Friday, marking the first confirmed diagnoses in Europe, as China expanded its efforts to control its outbreak and announced 15 new deaths. A second case of coronavirus was also confirmed Friday in the United States.

Travel bans were extended in central China to put tens of millions of people effectively on local lockdowns. In Wuhan, where the virus was first detected, workers are racing to build a 1,000-bed hospital to treat victims of the disease.

Authorities around China, including in the capital, Beijing, have canceled the temple fairs and festivals that accompany the Spring Festival to avoid having large public gatherings where the airborne virus could spread.

● There are more than 1,000 confirmed cases of infection, and at least 41 people have died. A total of 8,420 people are reported to be under observation.

● A young, previously healthy man died in Wuhan, raising concerns about the deadliness of the virus. Until now, the vast majority of victims have been older than 60 with preexisting conditions.

● Infections have been confirmed in France, South Korea, Japan, Nepal, Thailand, Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan and the United States.

● Authorities are enforcing a lockdown across large parts of the province of Hubei, affecting more than 35 million people, but the precise number remains unclear.

● The Chinese medical system has clearly struggled to cope with the outbreak, with

reports of crowded hospitals, stressed doctors and dwindling supplies.

Without wanting to scaremonger there is no way a hospital can be built in ten days. A morgue however can be.

I think the train has already left the station lads.

GENEVA - It takes approximately five to six months for the first supplies of approved vaccine to become available once a new strain of influenza virus with pandemic potential is identified and isolated. These months are needed because the process of producing a new vaccine involves many sequential steps, and each of these steps requires a certain amount of time to complete. The vaccine development process from start (obtaining a virus sample) to end (availability of vaccine for use) is summarized below.

Five to six months is a long time in a pandemic, and that is assuming they can piggyback on proven flu vaccine technology, if a completely new vaccine has to be developed for this we may be in a little trouble

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Love Lies Bleeding (16)

Triskel Arts Centre, Tomorrow @ 6pm

More events ▼