Women’s national football team

Joanne cantwell on rte sports news yesterday said the girls put in another fine performance, wtf?
I only saw the highlights but it looked to me like we did ok Jimmy. We scored one, put a few nice moves together and drew a some saves, and McCabe was unlucky after running around half their team!

I think the commentator said Canada were the current olympic champions or something like that so they must be one of the top seeds. In that case I'd imagine a 2-1 loss is a decent performance but all that matters is the result which puts them out

I would think its important that they win their last match and come back with something. I gathered beforehand that the Australia and Canada matches were never likely to yield much. The suggestion from the anchor (Ui Chuilleann or something?) was that Pauw should give the rest of the team a go now since they are out.. is the concept of professional sport and the world cup lost on these people? I doubt Pauw does sentiment though!

Last edited:
Is it a bit of both?

The keepers are very poor and attacking heading is also very poor, so you swing it in on top of the keeper knowing that a tiny nick from any player or poor goalkeeping and the chances are you might score?

Her body language looked to me like she knew it had a chance early on
she almost did the same in the first game but the Aus keeper was able to claw it out.

We lacked quality in attack…..in addition to midfield and defence.

Our one goal in the tournament was an accident.

Goalkeeping in female soccer is comedy gold.

Katie McCabe both intimidates me and turns me on.

I’d rather sniff the skid marks of Vera Pauw than listen to Stephanie Roche anymore.
Bollocks it was.

Pretty good first half but dreadful 2nd half. Kept giving the ball away, poor decision making, just seemed a bit clueless with the ball. Two competitive performances as opposed to fine might be more accurate
Some pundit on radio said the canadians realised ireland were not comfortable in possession and then pressed
high forcing turnovers,

Some pundit on radio said the canadians realised ireland were not comfortable in possession and then pressed
high forcing turnovers,
Yeah, think one of the Irish players alluded to that in an interview. Given it was their first WC they did compete quite well, but a serious lack of quality going forward.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tom Odell
Live At The Marquee

25th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Not How When!

The Pav, Tomorrow @ 10pm

More events ▼