Women’s national football team

stan ogden

11-0 win over Georgia tonight. Cork girl, Saoirse Noonan, got one. That puts us in second place with the best goal difference in the group. It’ll be like Italia ‘90 all over again lads if we qualify. England beat Latvia 20-0. Women’s game throws up some crazy results. #CYGIG

Last edited:
Do many people watch these games? Not trolling, I’d be genuinely interested in knowing the viewing figures for the games and the corresponding media coverage (articles, podcasts, etc.)

It gets fierce air time, presumably the likes of newstalk and rte are treating it as a loss leader of sorts, they take the hit on the low viewing figures in return for the kudos for giving women’s sport coverage.

I’m all for encouraging girls to play sport, I just cannot watch it, Gaa, soccer or rugby, it’s just too far removed in terms of skill from the men’s game. I’m sure things are improving though, hopefully down the line the field sports will be comparable to male and female tennis, in terms of the skill gap.

Do many people watch these games? Not trolling, I’d be genuinely interested in knowing the viewing figures for the games and the corresponding media coverage (articles, podcasts, etc.)

It gets fierce air time, presumably the likes of newstalk and rte are treating it as a loss leader of sorts, they take the hit on the low viewing figures in return for the kudos for giving women’s sport coverage.

I’m all for encouraging girls to play sport, I just cannot watch it, Gaa, soccer or rugby, it’s just too far removed in terms of skill from the men’s game. I’m sure things are improving though, hopefully down the line the field sports will be comparable to male and female tennis, in terms of the skill gap.
I thought the same but I'm happy to say camogie is an outlier and rivals the men's game for entertainment value. And its for one great reason, the ball stays in play waaaaaaaaaaaay longer in camogie.
Due to women's natural strength capabilities/limitations they are not prone to the idiotic scenes in hurling where lads are lashing the ball out over endlines and sidelines or scoring points from their own 45m line. Watching some camogie games over lock down, especially the All Ireland Final, there were phases of play where I sat back and said - 'Bloody hell, if this was a men's game we were watching, you'd have boyos blowing real hard, grasping for air, begging for a break in play'. Those players were hitting just as hard and playing at an identical pace to a mens game and some phases of play went on for aaaaaaaaaaaaaaages without the pace or physicality (which was particularly hard) dropping. It was amazing to watch. And it mostly had to do with the inability to hit it as far as a man could. A rare All Ireland Final where Cork lost and I actually had a wee smile just relishing what I watched. Brilliant stuff.

And don't they all have lovely bottoms!

On a serious note though, it needs a helping hand after decades of next to no support. It would be great for young girls to have their own sporting idols to look up and strive to imitate.

Well, the recent woman's international had the same viewing figures as the Camogie AI final and slightly higher than the men's FAI cup final. The game is undeniably growing in England (the media exposure helps); we're behind them but I expect we'll see fairly similar growth here.

Nobody's expecting the male population to suddenly stop watching manyoo and switch to watching Arsenal women. It's simply never going to happen. For most team sports (I can't think of an exception) the men will blow away women in terms of power and skill.

The discussion is probably redundant for you if - 1. you aren't a female or 2. aren't a father with a daughter. I'm in the latter category (!) and the more I am exposed to it (on a Sat morning in the park) I think it's a great team sport for girls. There is just the right amount of physical contact. I personally can't get my head around woman's rugby. There are some who want to do everything the lads do, but I think they are destroying themselves.

It's all no big deal. This isn't directed at you JPM .... but there's no reason to feel threatened by it, bent out of shape, or throw scorn on it. If girls enjoy playing it and look up to others of their own gender who have a good capability, that's great too.

Well, the recent woman's international had the same viewing figures as the Camogie AI final and slightly higher than the men's FAI cup final. The game is undeniably growing in England (the media exposure helps); we're behind them but I expect we'll see fairly similar growth here.
Yerrah, I think you are putting too much stock in the viewing figures, it's very easy to click on it from the comfort of your home for curiosity, I would be more interested in the bums on sits to judge the growth or interest in it.
There was under 6k at the game, compared to just under 30k at the camoige final and over 37k at the FAI cup final.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Damien Dempsey
Live At The Marquee, Showgrounds, Ballintemple

8th Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Old Moderns

Dwyers Of Cork, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼