what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
Homesickness by Colin Barrett. I was really looking forward to this as his first book was very good, but I'm disappointed.

The short stories are in the same psychic space as Kevin Barry's but they are overwritten.

From page 55: "Bimbo stormed into the jacks, thrummed a sulphurous piss into the gurgling trough".

He went to the jacks for a piss, all the thrumming and gurgling is unnecessary rococo in my opinion. And if you are going to use the fancy words, why not also lavatory and urinate? It's jarring and incongruous.

The stories themselves are sort of banal, not a criticism in itself, I don't mind reading a story where nothing much happens, but something has to compensate for it, whether humour or character or offstage action or an idea, but a bunch of ten-dollar words is not enough compensation

Lessons in Chemistry by Bonnie Garmus. Not grabbing me as I hoped it would but a nice read.
I've considered buying it but something is putting me off. Would be interested to hear your review at the end.

Have done very little reading recently as I'm studying. Hoping to get back into it over the summer.

Michael Collins And The Making Of A New Ireland by Piaras Beaslai.

I've wanted it for years but could never afford it. Recently got the reprinted double volume as a pressie.

Very good read so far.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Best Of Irish Comedy
The Roundy, Castle St.

12th Jul 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Curtin // Keating: Sit Stand Smoke

Crawford Art Gallery, Today @ 10am

More events ▼