what book you reading at the moment? (incl poll)

Do you like to read books

• Total voters
Trio by William Boyd.

Disappointing compared to the other one of his I read. It's about a film being shot in Brighton in 1968. All the characters have ridiculous names and they're all predictably gay, promiscuous, alcoholic, drug-addicted, or delinquent.

There is some imaginative story telling but it reads like it was written in a hurry with one eye on selling the film rights.

No Logo. Albeit about 20 years too late. How the fuck it became an international bestseller is beyond me. Poorly written with no flow to it. I'll persevere and finish it eventually. I also bought Shock Doctrine.......I'm an asshole.

A Confederacy Of Dunces: John Kennedy Toole. I spotted it in a charity shop and remembered Fishy mentioning it a few times here. Very funny, zipping through it. Crying out to be made into a film, I think the Coen brothers would nail it.

Christmas reads

April in Spain- John Banville- The continuing adventures of Dr Quirke. A good yarn.

The pawn broker's reward- Declan O Rourke. Absolutely brilliant. Not sure I would have bought it for myself as the subject matter is so grim, but I got it as a present and i'm delighted that I did. Highly recommend it.

We are not like them- Jo Piazza and Christine Pride. Interesting enough, though quite simplistic, story of race relations in America.

Taste- Stanley Tucci. Like a mixture between a memoir and a cookbook. Very easy read, but I liked his style of writing a lot. Reminded me a bit of AA Gill.

263733793_613148566663545_8384463258626057793_n.jpg

With a foreword by Greedy

How the world works by Noam Chomsky.

Look I'm not a leftie but he's usually spot on with regards the United States foreign policy, the history of the British Empire etc.
But he certainly doesn't hold back on the Soviet Union, North Korea, Cuba etc.

He's a bit of a contrarian and he seems to prefer dissing this and that rather than offer any solutions to the problems, but I'd agree with a lot of what he says.
I saw him in UCC back in 2013 as well

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

19th May 2024 @ 9:00 pm
More info..

UCC Music Recitals

Cyprus Avenue, Today @ 2pm

More events ▼