VMWare - Ballincollig

Well.... I'd totally forgotten about this thread.
Seems I made the right choice in staying where I was overall.... even though the kids have English accents now.

I wound up moving out of sales and moving into BI ..even though I've been totally blagging it for near a decade now.
...benefits of working for a private company I guess.

That's awful sad if a load of jobs do go out there though.
...Can't see how it relates to the brits or the IRA though... mind you, some fuckers always squeeze those into every thread it seems.

How many jobs have actually gone officially ? How easy is it to get property that is zoned for office space changed to residential i wonder ? I think thats the next thing we will see , former offices spaces converted into apartments.

Good luck to any VMware employees who are in this group. Broadcom have now received clearance and over the next 40 days we'll see the true impact.
Product wise, it appears Horizon is going

It seems to have started. I was in the Tradehouse Wednesday night. A bunch of VMW heads in the room at the back getting baladdered. From what I could see it was mostly the finance group as I recognised a few long timers. They were giving the cleaners plenty to do. Classy bunch.

Fair play to them but have to love the optimism from Cork Beo in the final sentence.

'CorkBeo has reached out to Broadcom for comment'.

That'll do the trick!!!

Just imagine the PR and Corporate Communications department at Broadcom Global HQ, holding tense, fraught meetings in order to draft a statement for CorkBeo, as journalists from WSJ and FT left waiting in reception!!

This is always something that bothers me when we talk about all the international companies operating in Cork.

We're heavily reliant on a small number of large employers, and if 1k people suddenly become unemployed tomorrow then that's going to leave a very big gap.

I'd say this could have major repercussions for businesses in Ballincollig such as the bars, restaurants, cafes etc.

These companies have no loyalty to Cork and VMware won't be the last to go.

This is always something that bothers me when we talk about all the international companies operating in Cork.

We're heavily reliant on a small number of large employers, and if 1k people suddenly become unemployed tomorrow then that's going to leave a very big gap.

I'd say this could have major repercussions for businesses in Ballincollig such as the bars, restaurants, cafes etc.

These companies have no loyalty to Cork and VMware won't be the last to go.

No indication yet how many jobs will be cut. There has been redundancies before at EMC/Dell out in Ballincollig but more jobs were subsequently added in the following years, more than replacing those lost.

General point is correct though - Ireland generally and Cork in particular heavily reliant on Foreign Direct Investment. We could take a hit of one or two leaving (chances are they'd be quickly replaced by others keen to utilise experienced workers) but we would be badly exposed if there was some type of global economic shock and there was multiple office/factory closures.

Of course if Apple were to close completely with loss of 6,000+ workers, that would have similar effect to loss of Fords and Dunlop's back in the day.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Complete Stone Roses
The Oliver Plunkett, Oliver Plunkett St.

1st Aug 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Tanq & Tunes

Coughlan's, Tomorrow @ 3pm

More events ▼