Victim of gay bashing reports Gardai to ombudsman

Let battle commence

A man who claims he was beaten in an alleged homophobic attack in Dublin's Phoenix Park has reported officers investigating his case to the Garda Ombudsman.

The IT engineer, named as Marcin Malinowski (38), said he was badly beaten by a group of up to 10 teenagers on bicycles on July 30.

He claims that during the incident he was subjected to verbal homophobic abuse.

Now Mr Malinowski [Not his surname] has told The Guardian newspaper that he has made a complaint to the Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC) over the garda handling of the case.
He claimed: “The whole thing from the start seemed organised. They were all on bikes and in front of them were there guys in the black Golf goading them on. They were out hunting for victims. The men in the car were shouting and yelling, ‘Kill the fa***t’.”

“When they started to follow me I tried to outrun them on my bike, but eventually by the time I got to the cricket club they had caught up and I got knocked off my bike by a tree. Some of the boys ran to the car boot and pulled out metal bars, and then I knew I had to fight for my life.”

Mr Malinowski , a Polish immigrant, sustained cuts and bruises all over his body, while his face was badly swollen from the beating.

Pictures posted on GCN show the injuries he sustained in the attack.
He told the newspaper that the trauma of the attack was compounded by his alleged mist treatment at the hands of An Garda Siochana.

In the first interview, he claimed he was asked if he was sure it was a "hate crime".
He claimed that during the second meeting he was asked: "Did you do anything to provoke them?"

A garda spokesperson confirmed that officers in Cabra are investigating an attack that took place at 9.30pm in the Phoenix Park.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...tack-reports-garda-to-ombudsman-35030344.html

In the course of an investigation surely it's common and acceptable to ask things like 'was there an altercation that led to the attack', 'did you know the attackers, why do you think they attacked you?' etc etc.

Typical questions asked by Gardai.

Wasting his time going to GOC as they are the Gardai in most complaints.

I feel sorry for the man and he is going to be more upset after dealing with GSOC.

I wonder why anyone would be a Garda at all. You can't seem to ask questions these days to determine what happened without offending anyone, and then they complain if you do. Then by doing so, they actually delay the investigation into the actual crime.

If I was over the Guards, I'd call a month long Blue Flu, with everyone going sick without exception. We'd see then if they do nothing, and whether a simple question is worth complaining over.

I wonder why anyone would be a Garda at all. You can't seem to ask questions these days to determine what happened without offending anyone, and then they complain if you do. Then by doing so, they actually delay the investigation into the actual crime.

If I was over the Guards, I'd call a month long Blue Flu, with everyone going sick without exception. We'd see then if they do nothing, and whether a simple question is worth complaining over.

Ah sure the Gardai can't do anything wrong.

One of the most corrupt police forces in the world.

Ah sure the Gardai can't do anything wrong.

One of the most corrupt police forces in the world.

Are you for real?

I've no time for the Gardai but that statement is just nonsense.

As for this, its hard to tell from the details but asking if he did anything to provoke the attack surely seems like standard practice tbh

That's just nonsense.

You are right, I usually find people with such opinions have had a few run ins with them, either they themselves or relatives or friends

Sounds like that guy who made the complaint to GSOC deserved that and more.
He even seems to be blaming a bloody tree as well for knocking him off his bike.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Bernard Casey (Local Gossip) and Guests
City Limits, Coburg St.

22nd Jun 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

Jan McCullough: Night Class

Crawford Art Gallery, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼