Training Run Times

I've had a funny time of the last few weeks, went out for a run after the half, all feeling good. Then the following weekend was hectic with the young fellas sports so no chance for me to get out and I was enjoying the break if I'm being entirely honest. Anyway, Monday rolls around and the 5 a side lads are stuck for a player, I hadn't played since May/June so temptation got the better of me. An hour of running around like a demented mutt and I knew I was in for it the minute I stopped.. the tightness in the inner thighs was off the scale - I'm still not moving freely 4 days later! I'm obviously not used to all of the lateral stuff anymore, but I had absolutely no after effects after the half or any of the tri's really bar a bit of fatigue

Anyway, decision made, I'll play the annual tournament next week, and thats it.. the boots are being hung up unfortunately. Someone had mentioned on here before that the training isn't really compatible with soccer, they were right. I want to do a few tri's next year, definitely getting an Olympic in there, and I wouldn't mind another crack at a HM.

The Triathlon Ireland Tri calendar is out now, not sure when the rest of the year fills out with all of the non-ranking events but once they are all out I'll pick a few and put them in the diary as the targets for training.

I've had a funny time of the last few weeks, went out for a run after the half, all feeling good. Then the following weekend was hectic with the young fellas sports so no chance for me to get out and I was enjoying the break if I'm being entirely honest. Anyway, Monday rolls around and the 5 a side lads are stuck for a player, I hadn't played since May/June so temptation got the better of me. An hour of running around like a demented mutt and I knew I was in for it the minute I stopped.. the tightness in the inner thighs was off the scale - I'm still not moving freely 4 days later! I'm obviously not used to all of the lateral stuff anymore, but I had absolutely no after effects after the half or any of the tri's really bar a bit of fatigue

Anyway, decision made, I'll play the annual tournament next week, and thats it.. the boots are being hung up unfortunately. Someone had mentioned on here before that the training isn't really compatible with soccer, they were right. I want to do a few tri's next year, definitely getting an Olympic in there, and I wouldn't mind another crack at a HM.

The Triathlon Ireland Tri calendar is out now, not sure when the rest of the year fills out with all of the non-ranking events but once they are all out I'll pick a few and put them in the diary as the targets for training.
Yep - I found the same when I started running HH - the footie really suffered - especialy 5 or 6 a side games on tight courts. Pretty soon I was an ex-ball- player

I had been running in these lads for the past 18 months or so - Air Zoom Tempo Next% - basically the non-carbon-plated foam option.

1701433047634.png

Then Nike stopped selling them so I switched to the Zoom Fly 5's
1701433139496.png

I ran in them for a few weeks and BANG! - murder tendon pain inside the right ankle. I assumed it was a mileage issue and this screwed my Dublin prep completely - 5 weeks off the road. I started padding the ankle / foot arch and slowly got back running only for the other ankle to go wallop the same way once the mileage went back up. FFS, it was the Zoom 5 shoes all along.

So. it turns out the Tempo Next% are a one-piece shoe - no tongue - which holds the arch support against your foot. But the other yokes have a more traditional tongue in the shoe which makes the shoe way looser so a flat-footed langer like me was sliding sideways onto the uppers in each foot - meaning no arch support and tendon damage.

So now I'm screwed, I'm hunting the Internet for pairs of the old ones while trying to figure a replacement. It might be time to go back to the ASICS - they seem to have really upped their game in the past two years to match the Nike revolution. I did find a pair of the Tempo Next% online so I'm covered for the Seville prep - I absolutely love them. But it's a limited game.

I had been running in these lads for the past 18 months or so - Air Zoom Tempo Next% - basically the non-carbon-plated foam option.

View attachment 27176

Then Nike stopped selling them so I switched to the Zoom Fly 5's
View attachment 27177

I ran in them for a few weeks and BANG! - murder tendon pain inside the right ankle. I assumed it was a mileage issue and this screwed my Dublin prep completely - 5 weeks off the road. I started padding the ankle / foot arch and slowly got back running only for the other ankle to go wallop the same way once the mileage went back up. FFS, it was the Zoom 5 shoes all along.

So. it turns out the Tempo Next% are a one-piece shoe - no tongue - which holds the arch support against your foot. But the other yokes have a more traditional tongue in the shoe which makes the shoe way looser so a flat-footed langer like me was sliding sideways onto the uppers in each foot - meaning no arch support and tendon damage.

So now I'm screwed, I'm hunting the Internet for pairs of the old ones while trying to figure a replacement. It might be time to go back to the ASICS - they seem to have really upped their game in the past two years to match the Nike revolution. I did find a pair of the Tempo Next% online so I'm covered for the Seville prep - I absolutely love them. But it's a limited game.

Interesting - I have the same Next % tempos you do, love them.. so much so JimmY has decided I'm taking to the leaba in them :)

I have been fishing about trying to buy a new pair also, didn't realise they were stopping them.

Part of the reason I liked them is because I am also flat footed and I wear my insoles in them running - from day 1 it has been really comfortable and any issues I used have with my back were gone. I figured that my insoles would undo the effectiveness of the carbon plates but if they did work i would have that up my sleeve some day. I wear the bog standard Spenco 3/4 length insoles BTW

Time to find the last pair of Tempos in my size wherever they are!

Well I gave him your number...

LOL, there's so many of the lads gone out that you'll see them somewhere in Valencia for sure C.

What's the race plan for Sunday?
I'm still gunning for a 21k Marathon, T. Did 18k last weekend. Longest run since the end of June Half. Thing is I did a short run on Tuesday and it was shit. Stopped at 6k instead of 8. Here's hoping I'm on a good day Sunday!! Will have to get the knees sorted soon though.
What's the fastest Eagle lad going for? Anyone targeting sub 2.30? Hopefully they'll be in the club tops so I'll be able to pick em out.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Stand-up Comedy Club: Low-key Funny
The Roundy, Castle St.

25th Sep 2024 @ 8:30 pm
More info..

Cork Voices Of The Irish Revolution

St. Peters Cork, Today @ 10am

More events ▼