Training Run Times

Back to the Physio today. He told me not to run at my last visit which didn’t make a lot of sense as I’ve rested for weeks on and off with no change. (16 minutes in, pins and needles then numbness) He’d hit a few tender spots massaging the calf and during last weeks run I stopped and massaged one particular part of my calf, just below my knee which had never been on my horizon. It was as if someone has turned on a tap and circulation in my foot more or less came back by about 80%.

Armed with this, back to him today and he hammered the bejaysus out of the calf and said I could try a run this evening to see if it made any difference and lo and behold crawled my 5k more or less event free for the first time in over a year. That said Calf is hopping now and one swallow doesn’t make a summer but I’ll take it for today!

My next outing will be interesting.
Great stuff Marky.

sounds like you are making good progress, delighted for you. my friend came back to me with the below, you may be after getting to the route of your problem. The below might point you towards a plan B in the future. Heres hoping you dont need it.

"ended up going to two different Consultants, both diagnosed compartmental syndrome. The first recommended surgery but the second strongly recommended against as he said the surgery was a really dated method and could make things a lot worse in the long term.

I stopped running completely for a good number of months and joined a gym instead. I don’t know if that worked/helped but I also started to use insoles that lifted up my arch and I actually think that this had a huge impact on it. I still wear insoles now & if I didn’t, the numbness would come back.

I’d definitely recommend that they try these insoles, I get them in Elvery’s, their custom made and they mould them in the shop after taking images of your foot. They’re only about €50-60 per pair and I change them when I get new runners. You can buy them cheaper I think online and mould them in your oven at home, but I’d definitely recommend that they get the images in Elvery’s and get them to mould them https://shop.footbalance.com/ "

I have managed to get myself up to an 18 mile run in recent weeks without out much in the way of discomfort.
Apart from the fact that i love Dublin marathon, I was looking for a purpose/reason to run. I am going to run with my brother at the weekend which will i am looking forward to. I have no fitness to speak of so it will no doubt I will struggle at some point as a wise Terrier once said - any day you are well enough to toe the line and run a marathon has to be a good day.
I am really looking forward to it.

Might see a Terrier, TO and a few other in Doheny & Nesbitt for a pint afterwards! Very best of luck lads.

I have managed to get myself up to an 18 mile run in recent weeks without out much in the way of discomfort.
Apart from the fact that i love Dublin marathon, I was looking for a purpose/reason to run. I am going to run with my brother at the weekend which will i am looking forward to. I have no fitness to speak of so it will no doubt I will struggle at some point as a wise Terrier once said - any day you are well enough to toe the line and run a marathon has to be a good day.
I am really looking forward to it.

Might see a Terrier, TO and a few other in Doheny & Nesbitt for a pint afterwards! Very best of luck lads.
Good man, Smurf. Up to 18 miles, a bit like meself but I have 6 weeks to marathon. I'm sure the old muscle memory will kick in!!
As for the beer mile, I just now recall the Luxo one being cans. Must have affected my time 😜🍺

Great stuff Marky.

sounds like you are making good progress, delighted for you. my friend came back to me with the below, you may be after getting to the route of your problem. The below might point you towards a plan B in the future. Heres hoping you dont need it.

"ended up going to two different Consultants, both diagnosed compartmental syndrome. The first recommended surgery but the second strongly recommended against as he said the surgery was a really dated method and could make things a lot worse in the long term.

I stopped running completely for a good number of months and joined a gym instead. I don’t know if that worked/helped but I also started to use insoles that lifted up my arch and I actually think that this had a huge impact on it. I still wear insoles now & if I didn’t, the numbness would come back.

I’d definitely recommend that they try these insoles, I get them in Elvery’s, their custom made and they mould them in the shop after taking images of your foot. They’re only about €50-60 per pair and I change them when I get new runners. You can buy them cheaper I think online and mould them in your oven at home, but I’d definitely recommend that they get the images in Elvery’s and get them to mould them https://shop.footbalance.com/ "
Thank you, and your colleague, so much for the advice. I really appreciate it.

The Physio mentioned possible compartment syndrome and he also was thinking possible tarsal tunnel syndrome.

After two reasonably comfortable 5k tryoutssince my last visit, I went out yesterday and finished 5 miles, my longest run since the start of April. My foot did act up a bit after 30 minutes and sort of calmed down a bit with a bit of stretching.

Fingers crossed, I might be seeing the end of it via very painful sliotar based foam rolling.

Went for broke and took a major gamble with an extensive dry-needing session on the hamstring on Tuesday night - just four and a half days out from the race. Ordinarily that's way too close to a marathon - it takes days to recover from that level of intrusion - but the injury wasn't budging and I had to do something. Cue the usual histrionics from the PROC softie on the table as various muscles were internally needled, pricked, probed and scraped. In fairness, yer man got a good few contractions out of it - even needled my lower and middle back. Then a heavy, deep massage to try to get the blood flowing into the leg again - nearly sorer than the needling. Needless to say, I could barely even walk afterwards and movement yesterday was also a significant emotional event.

Today, the leg feels different alright, still injured for sure but maybe not as tight. Will do three miles easy this evening and see how we are. It's a very strange run-in to a race - normally you'd be getting hyped up and nervous but LOL, there's just no point. Sunday could be brilliant or 13 miles of "uneasy" followed by 13 miles of gimping.

Here's the forecast for Sunday morning - dry, mild and a strongish SW

1666873431878.png

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Nora Brown and Stephanie Coleman
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

13th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..

The Hollyz

Cantys, Today @ 10pm

More events ▼