Training Run Times

Went for broke and took a major gamble with an extensive dry-needing session on the hamstring on Tuesday night - just four and a half days out from the race. Ordinarily that's way too close to a marathon - it takes days to recover from that level of intrusion - but the injury wasn't budging and I had to do something. Cue the usual histrionics from the PROC softie on the table as various muscles were internally needled, pricked, probed and scraped. In fairness, yer man got a good few contractions out of it - even needled my lower and middle back. Then a heavy, deep massage to try to get the blood flowing into the leg again - nearly sorer than the needling. Needless to say, I could barely even walk afterwards and movement yesterday was also a significant emotional event.

Today, the leg feels different alright, still injured for sure but maybe not as tight. Will do three miles easy this evening and see how we are. It's a very strange run-in to a race - normally you'd be getting hyped up and nervous but LOL, there's just no point. Sunday could be brilliant or 13 miles of "uneasy" followed by 13 miles of gimping.

Here's the forecast for Sunday morning - dry, mild and a strongish SW

View attachment 16280
Is that wind a good thing or a bad thing BPT?

Is that wind a good thing or a bad thing BPT?
Well my worst mile in Dublin is always mile 14 - the Crumlin Road, straight line, up a hill and this year, straight into that wind. Other than that, maybe Fortfield Road and Castleknock will be into the wind too - but not as bad. It could be worse Marky - and nothing can be done about it in any case! 😎

Well my worst mile in Dublin is always mile 14 - the Crumlin Road, straight line, up a hill and this year, straight into that wind. Other than that, maybe Fortfield Road and Castleknock will be into the wind too - but not as bad. It could be worse Marky - and nothing can be done about it in any case! 😎
True dat as they say. There’s a woman in work running it for the first time and she’ll take any advice she can get. Best of luck and don’t forget the tea cozy 😀

True dat as they say. There’s a woman in work running it for the first time and she’ll take any advice she can get. Best of luck and don’t forget the tea cozy 😀
Pat Walsh has a repost of a route guide on the Cork Running blog that he wrote a few years ago. It's as good as any guide your workmate can read.

I have 3 miles easy to do tomorrow but other than that, the hours on the road are now complete. Other than the last two week, the target has been pretty much hit or exceeded all the way. The donkey work is all done - it's the sharp stuff that never happened. So, a reasonable run is on the cards - just not at the speed you'd like.

DCM 2022 mileage.png

Was laying out the gear last to pack the bag and made the big decision to ditch the Alphaflys in favour of the Vapors. Not a lot of science behind it other than they feel less “clunky” than their newer cousins. … definitely not influenced by C.’s “fla” picture 😉

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Old Moderns
Clancys, 15-16 Princes St.

5th May 2024 @ 10:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼