Time for Cork to Embrace Dual Players Again?

I agree, at the very worst the dual players could make one a priority but maybe be available for the other. In Stephen Lucey's case he would have had to deal with the back door in both codes too which would have taken its toll I suppose.

In reality, with a decent draw in both codes there's no reason why we couldn't make both Munster Finals and that would cut down the number of games dramatically.

Dual players are going to lead to a huge problem re; club fixtures etc. I know a lot of supporters dont care about club games but they have to be played as well. If Cadogan or Cussen are on both panels imagine the problems especially if we are involved in back door matches, club games will be in dissaray.

skill.

thats the main thing that will suffer. Transitioning from one to the other is easy in theory, but try play a hurling game after two weeks of football training, your touch will be miles off the required pace, at Intercounty level nowadays, you'd be found out in an instant. The reverse also works. I know people say that there is less skill in football but there is skill all the same. If you haven't spent enough time hitting those 30 yard kick passes accurately in training with the rest of your team mates, then they'll be a step ahead of you in the pecking order. Positionally, you'll be in a different mode of thinking for both codes too.
So in theory, it's a great idea, but given the effort put in put players into each code at Intercounty level these days, only the extremely gifted could manage to pull it off successfully.

Want proof, have a look at Tipps first goal V Limerick in the semi final this year... name the full back and ask yourself what he was doing half the summer.

Yep your spot on here.

Its only becoming an issue because the hurlers are seeking the dual players back. With the likes of Ciaran Sheehan coming out and saying he prefers to play football it shows a change in the ride.

When the footballers were struggling similarily they could have done with a few of the hurlers making themselves available for the big ball. Hurling supoorters were incredulous at that concept.

I'd imagine Cussen, Sheehan, Colm O'Neill, Aidan Walsh all have their eyes on a football All Ireland in the near future and want to be a part of that. I cant see success on the hurling field appearing any time soon. Only Cadogan has made hurling a priority in the past and that could well change following his involvement with the football side of things this summer

Totally agree
Hurlers could badly do with Cussen
the footballers could give Tom kenny J Gardiner, O'Conners a go??
Not to mention all da young lads coming through who are equally good at both codes such as Sheehan etc...

Yep your spot on here.

Its only becoming an issue because the hurlers are seeking the dual players back. With the likes of Ciaran Sheehan coming out and saying he prefers to play football it shows a change in the ride.

When the footballers were struggling similarily they could have done with a few of the hurlers making themselves available for the big ball. Hurling supoorters were incredulous at that concept.

I'd imagine Cussen, Sheehan, Colm O'Neill, Aidan Walsh all have their eyes on a football All Ireland in the near future and want to be a part of that. I cant see success on the hurling field appearing any time soon. Only Cadogan has made hurling a priority in the past and that could well change following his involvement with the football side of things this summer
I'd have to agree. Dual roles is purely a stop gap measure these days. Unfortunately, with the commitment required these days, it's one or the other. It was different in the 70's, neither team started training seriously until after Paddys day.

Dual players are going to lead to a huge problem re; club fixtures etc. I know a lot of supporters dont care about club games but they have to be played as well. If Cadogan or Cussen are on both panels imagine the problems especially if we are involved in back door matches, club games will be in dissaray.

I don't know a single supporter who doesn't care about Club games.

I don't think we'll ever see another teddy mac or denis walsh type dual player as long as the back door era doesn't really allow for it.

In the pre-qualifier days, there would rarely have been clashes between football and hurling and there were fewer games, so it was more possible. But I do remember Sully coming on as a sub for the footballers in a munster final against tipp and then togging out for the hurlers in a qualifier against galway the same afternoon.mad stuff altogether. If you look back there have been weekends where both footballers and hurlers have been out in 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009.

I agree with the posters who say that this was never an issue when the hurlers were on top and the like of tom kenny could have made a big difference to the footballers!

Rubbish.

Out and out rubbish.

You don't have a clue Eamon.

Totally agree
Hurlers could badly do with Cussen
the footballers could give Tom kenny J Gardiner, O'Conners a go??
Not to mention all da young lads coming through who are equally good at both codes such as Sheehan etc...

Langer dan...this is the kind of post people with no clue come up with. A bit like some of ur posts:lol:

I think burnout is the obvious and main issue here. Dual players were quite a common thing in the 80`s and early 90`s but lets face it, the game has advanced to a professional standard in terms of fitness and endurance and I really dont think its possible for a player to be fully committed to both codes without feeling the effects of it on a personal level. This means that you are on the go with 4 teams for the year which is crazy. Maybe certain allowances were tolerated for dual players in the past but I personally think its a non runner.

Cadogans situation this year was different, if one of the teams gets knocked out and he`s good enough to drafted onto the other panel then fair enough.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
The Lee Sessions Trad Trail
The Gables, Douglas St.

22nd May 2024 @ 9:30 pm
More info..
More events ▼