The, um, Aviation Thread

Ryanair have announced a new service starting in October to Paris, well kind of Paris.
It's Beauvais and 3 times a week from Cork.
Aer Lingus pulled the CDG service so good luck to them.

Just over an hr by train.
Seems a strange route though, Cork/Paris I mean, Aer Lingus pulled the plug. Veuling did it for a bit and pulled the plug as well.
Ah ya, fair enough. After another look I see some trains get there much faster.

I heard the issue with Veuling was something to do with capacity issues at that airport. Whatever it was, apparently they were actually doing alright out of Cork.

In fairness to Ryanair, they have been a bit more imaginative with their holiday/seasonable routes out of Cork in recent times. All you usually get from Aer Lingus is the Spanish routes. But Ryanair have put on some nice looking routes to Italy and France. The airport needs more city destinations though. Routes to places like Berlin, Prague, Copenhagen, Vienna and Brussels.

So what was once our National carrier and a Semi State is still in that mindset.

Engineering staff in Dumplin Airport have been and are continuing to leave the company, Ryanair are poaching them offering them better money and there are lads who are going into Intel and places like that to get in from the weather aspect of the job.

This now is beginning to be a huge issue for them as they were due to take delivery of 2 new A320 aircraft this week and last but they can't as the Irish Aviation Authority won't let them operate 2 extra aircraft as Aer Lingus do not have the proportional percentage of Engineering staff.

I have been told that at the rate they are losing engineers that they may have to park up an ever increasing amount of their fleet and this will mean services not being able to operate.

Little wonder Ryanair are doing so well, they operate an efficient business

Last edited:
Aer Lingus's wonderful planning as usual, they are in the process of repainting the entire fleet of planes in that horrible white livery.

So one at a time, every few weeks is being painted.
One in particular, Registration No EI CVA was painted into the new livery 8 months ago.

It was flown for the last time yesterday from Newquay in Cornwall to Knock where it will be cut up and dismantled.

So what was the bloody point in spending out all that money to repaint it ?
Great management abilities on show as usual.

Aer Lingus's wonderful planning as usual, they are in the process of repainting the entire fleet of planes in that horrible white livery.
It really is terrible. It's essentially the end of the Aer Lingus brand and the start of the IAG brand. I think they want all the planes of their airlines to the have that similar predominantly white design. Maybe it's so they can move planes around between airlines if necessary? Who knows. It looks shit anyway.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Tombstome presents: Darsombra plus guest Magic Pockets
Coughlan's, Douglas St.

30th May 2024 @ 8:00 pm
More info..
More events ▼