The Official Swimming Thread

LOL, the “filthy” Lee perception is ingrained in Cork DNA - all those years of the shoals of shit-eating mullet parked at Patrick’s bridge aren’t easily forgotten. In truth, since the main drainage in 2000, the Lee is way cleaner than most beaches. The mix of fresh water and salt water does taste weird, and you’ll meet seaweed and algae along the way, but it’s not dirty. Myself and some or all of our three sons do the race every year - it’s an iconic Cork event 😎

Wouldn’t mind a bash at it next year . My technique is shocking. I am self taught and badly at that.

Wouldn’t mind a bash at it next year . My technique is shocking. I am self taught and badly at that.
The rebel plunge is back next year too

They usually run it from the customs house to cork boat club with a BBQ after

A great event.

Don't be intimated by the distance the full flow of the river is behind you all the way so you fly down

Don't worry bbY, if you can do 80 lengths of the pool you'll be fine for the Lee Swim - that's a good target to work towards. Then maybe a month before the event start doing some OW swimming to acclimatise and learn how to steer. You can wear a wetsuit too - a major help.

He's defo the best swimming prospect we've ever had - I've watched him race for six or seven years now - since my own young lad used go up against him (well, they were in the pool at the same time anyway) and he is relentless. Loughborough was a massive move for him it really clicked.

Love his attitude too - he's on record as saying he wants to break the world record on his way to Paris. His splits are insanely consistent - a really driven, disciplined racer who backs himself at major championships.

The 1500 is a murderfest - most swimmers dread it - but he seems to thrive on it. Along with Mona, he is preselected for Paris - so that allows him to tailor his training this year. To be down at the blocks doing the timekeeping or turn judging when he races is an electric experience.

He has a kid brother who is pretty handy too - again, a long distance merchant - but for now, Dan's the man. Fingers crossed for the next 18 months

He's defo the best swimming prospect we've ever had - I've watched him race for six or seven years now - since my own young lad used go up against him (well, they were in the pool at the same time anyway) and he is relentless. Loughborough was a massive move for him it really clicked.

Love his attitude too - he's on record as saying he wants to break the world record on his way to Paris. His splits are insanely consistent - a really driven, disciplined racer who backs himself at major championships.

The 1500 is a murderfest - most swimmers dread it - but he seems to thrive on it. Along with Mona, he is preselected for Paris - so that allows him to tailor his training this year. To be down at the blocks doing the timekeeping or turn judging when he races is an electric experience.

He has a kid brother who is pretty handy too - again, a long distance merchant - but for now, Dan's the man. Fingers crossed for the next 18 months
Is he ours for good or can Team GB make a play? How does that work

Is he ours for good or can Team GB make a play? How does that work
He’s come all the way up through the Swim Ireland system since he was a nipper - it would be very unlikely that he would switch. The Nordie clubs have always been a powerhouse in Irish swimming but have also been very loyal to the 32 county setup.

Don’t forget, soccer is the only sport in this country that’s not organised on a 32 county basis. Sure, some Northeners have occasionally opted for team GB but it’s a very rare occurrence.

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Open Streets: Boolaboom Busking
Cornmarket Centre, Cornmarket St.

19th May 2024 @ 1:00 pm
More info..

A Bend In The Road

St. Peters Cork, Tomorrow @ 10am

More events ▼