The official Cork court report thread.

If you need FIS you can claim it. If you earn more money later, should you have to repay the FIS payments?

I think that would be a reasonable scenario - it’s how the system should work. Those genuinely in need of support should be able to access it, but if down the line income exceeds a certain amount, a % should be repaid/garnished from wages.

I think that would be a reasonable scenario - it’s how the system should work. Those genuinely in need of support should be able to access it, but if down the line income exceeds a certain amount, a % should be repaid/garnished from wages.
I would fear that it would stop people in need from accessing service.

I would fear that it would stop people in need from accessing services
I would fear that it would stop people in need from accessing service.
I do see your point to be fair, but I can’t see how it’s any different to jobseekers etc - you avail of the assistance and pay back into the exchequer via taxes - the more you earn the more you pay back.

The threshold could be relatively high - say 1% of taxable income over 50k (pulling figures out of my arse here obviously).

In the case of legal aid even, say your first 5/10 cases are ‘free’ - more than 10 and wages/welfare should have a small % deducted.

I do see your point to be fair, but I can’t see how it’s any different to jobseekers etc - you avail of the assistance and pay back into the exchequer via taxes - the more you earn the more you pay back.

The threshold could be relatively high - say 1% of taxable income over 50k (pulling figures out of my arse here obviously).

In the case of legal aid even, say your first 5/10 cases are ‘free’ - more than 10 and wages/welfare should have a small % deducted.
I think that's reasonable.

I would wonder with FIS though that if it could inadvertently keep people in poverty. Like, for example, a parent can get a promotion that pushes their salary from €48k to €51K, but to do so will mean that their FIS repayments kick in and they end up worse off. Obviously they can't get further promotions (to get to €60k or whatever) without that mid point where it costs them to earn more. Now, I know that happens for people who hover around a tax band anyway, but still.

I think that's reasonable.

I would wonder with FIS though that if it could inadvertently keep people in poverty. Like, for example, a parent can get a promotion that pushes their salary from €48k to €51K, but to do so will mean that their FIS repayments kick in and they end up worse off. Obviously they can't get further promotions (to get to €60k or whatever) without that mid point where it costs them to earn more. Now, I know that happens for people who hover around a tax band anyway, but still.
There’s a case to be made on excluding the likes of FIS and similar payments from such a repayment scheme to be fair - I’d have no issue with that.

Ive a more head on approach to FLA
If found guilty on more than 3 occasions of any criminal activity
No further FLA whatsoever

He's getting a state funeral up in Dunboyne, proper order.

It almost feels like his death has been overshadowed by Sean Haughey announcing that he won't stand again

EVENT GUIDE - HIGHLIGHT
Mark Lyndon
The Richmond Revival, College Road, Fermoy, Co. Cork, P61 T292

9th Nov 2024 @ 7:00 pm
More info..

Skazz

Crane Lane Theatre, Tomorrow @ 6:30pm

More events ▼